5 yr old electic water heater dead, bad thermostat?

Old 04-26-05, 03:45 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
5 yr old electic water heater dead, bad thermostat?

I have a 5 year old Bradford electric water heater, it stopped putting out hot water 3 days ago. I opened up the upper box and hit on the red reset botton. Afer a while, I have prenty of hot water as before. 2 days later, no hot water again. I hit the reset botton again, hot water came back.

I read through FAQ section and suspect I have a bad thermostat (sticky?), but I don't know how to confirm that the theromstat is bad, anyone can help?

Also, if the thermostat is bad, it should be covered by warantee. How to get parts under warantee? do I have to get a plumer to do that?

By the way, the water heater is not leaking.

Thanks.

Old 04-27-05, 10:02 AM
kat88
Visiting Guest
Here is a government website which shows you how to read your serial number to determine the age of your water heater....
http://hem.dis.anl.gov/eehem/96/960510.html

My water heater stopped putting out water 2 days ago. I did not know what to do so I turned the thermostat all the way to the maximum and now I get warm water. I have a 10-year Rheem and it is now almost 8 years old but still under warranty for the tank which I confirmed on Rheem's warranty verification website. I called Rheem customer support and explained to the gentleman what was happening. Based on my description, he thought that the thermostat was the problem and has sent a replacement to me under warranty. However, I would have to pay someone to replace it as the warranty on labor was only for one year. I asked him if he was sure that the thermostat was the problem and he said he was not but alternatively, I could hire someone to evaluate the situation and have the plumber call and request for replacement parts.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-27-05, 10:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

kat88
Check out the bottom element on the heater there . Ill bet its bad and why you dont have as much hot water. You have to drain the tank to put a new one in.

vincey
For the cost Id just get and put in the top and bottom tstat on the heater there. You dont have to drain the tank just work on the electric wire is all . Be sure and turn off the power to the W/H tank first

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: