New gas water heater noise

Old 05-17-05, 04:03 PM
vim
Visiting Guest
New gas water heater noise

Hi,

Last week plumber installed new GE gas water heater that are sold at Home Depot with 12 year waranty. Everything works OK, I have hot water, just every time I open any tap I can hear strange clicking noise in water heater. Is it supposed to be like that? My old water heater was quiter. It is regular water heater (not powervent). It is not very loud noise, but you can definatelly hear it. Any ideas if this should be like that or if something could be wrong with installation.

Thanks

Old 05-17-05, 06:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It is probably the sound of the heat traps. There are small valves in the inlet and outlet of some heaters and their purpose is to prevent heat from gravitating out of the tank when hot water is not being used. The hot side is nothing more than a small ball that sits over the outlet of the heater and when you open the faucet, the water flow lifts the ball and water passes around it. It can rattle around in there when you are drawing water and it makes the souond you hear.

I hope that explains well enough what you are hearing.

Ken

Old 05-18-05, 05:36 PM
vim
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by KField
It is probably the sound of the heat traps. There are small valves in the inlet and outlet of some heaters and their purpose is to prevent heat from gravitating out of the tank when hot water is not being used. The hot side is nothing more than a small ball that sits over the outlet of the heater and when you open the faucet, the water flow lifts the ball and water passes around it. It can rattle around in there when you are drawing water and it makes the souond you hear.

I hope that explains well enough what you are hearing.

Ken
Ken,

Thank you very much for your help. Your explanation makes perfect sense. I do know that I have heat traps, but was not sure what it is.
Thanks again

Vim

Old 05-22-05, 07:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am a little surprised, because over a year ago Rheem stopped using the ball-check heat traps in their GE WH for just this reason. They are now using a rubber flapper type. Some old stock must have slipped through. If you call Rheem, they will probably send you some new ones. They might even send a warranty service tech to do the job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: