I need some (water heater purchasing) info?

Old 06-03-05, 05:47 AM
Howyadoit
Visiting Guest
I need some (water heater purchasing) info?

Hello Group,

I am new here, so forgive me if I am making a redundant post. I am interested in purchasing a water heater and need to know what the masses think about the brands out there. I would like to know what brand/model you have and what complaints you have had with it or praise? When shopping around, I have heard that with the FVIR regulations that some companies are experiencing high defect rates and I need to know who they are? What are the biggest complaints? Who's doing it right? Any info will be vital as I am not only purchasing my own, but compiling the information for the use of purchasing in the future for my fathers hardware store.

Thank You,

Justin

Old 06-03-05, 11:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Howyadoit, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Your best bet is to check out water heaters. Look at the energy efficiency sticker on the side of the tank, ask what the warranties are (labor/parts and tank life). Check your local libary for a copy of Consumer Reports that covers water heaters. They do tests and are unbiased. Anything can go wrong even with a new high quality unit. Good luck.

Old 06-03-05, 12:01 PM
Howyadoit
Visiting Guest
I'm pursuing that outlet, but.....

I always like to here what the common person has to say. They are the ones that order the replacement parts, have the install woes, and nobody puts their flaws on the side of the tank.

Old 06-03-05, 12:21 PM
I can understand your logic here but there are bad and good in everything. I can buy a Cadillac and have it in the shop every other week and buy a Gio and drive it for years. We here, try not to endorse or bash any product or manufacturer. I have owned some of the products, without incident, that others have had nothing but trouble with. Just a fact of life. I like to stick with the major brands due to the warranties. Still, you have to look at the wording in the warranty. Does a company Rep have to make the decision or your Plumber, or can you work on the unit without voiding the warranty? Perhaps some others will chime in here with the info you are looking for.

Old 06-03-05, 02:55 PM
earthbru
Visiting Guest
I am on my third AO Smith water heater and I am looking to replace it.
My father in law is a builder and he thinks this brand is great but I will try a different one this time. For each one that I had, it lasted exactly the amount of time for which it was guaranteed. When I had a 6 year guarantee it lasted 6 years, when I had a 10 year, it lasted 10 years.
My complaint is that as it ages, I am required to turn the heat up to get it hot enough. Also, it wears out by cracking and leaking water. The first one flooded my basement. I was home for the second one and was able to avoid the problem. I am planning to replace my current one because it has a 6 year warrantee and it will be 6 years in December.

The efficiency rating on this is not very good either. I suspect this is a "builder model".

I looked at the model they had at Sears and it has a much better rating. I believe it is made by Rheem but I am not sure.

I will be checking this thread because I am also interested in other opinions.

majakdragon mentioned that you can have good luck with a gio and bad luck with a Cadillac. I would like to know which water heater is the Cadillac and which the Gio.

Old 06-03-05, 03:23 PM
Earthbru, My point was...don't let the high price on a heater be the deciding factor. Too many other points to look at.

Old 06-03-05, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sears water heaters, Kenmore, are actually A.O. Smith water heaters and they are made to Kenmore specs with better energy guide ratings than say an A.O. Smith water heater bought at a plumbing supply house.

In all the years of having your water heaters, did you ever drain it once a year?

One of those water heaters fell into a class action lawsuit with defective dip tubes.

Preventive maintenance, making sure your water pressure is at 60 pounds (protected) and taking it a step farther, changing out anode rods every four years will greatly improve the longevity of your water heater.

Doesn't matter how expensive the water heater you buy; don't maintain it or restrict water pressure to a normal pressure and nothing will last for a significant time.

I have pulled out water heaters that were 30 years old, A.O. Smiths still working the day I pulled them out; not very efficient, but not leaking and still heating water. I can say that for Ruud, Rheem, State, Bradford White, to name a few.

Old 06-04-05, 06:07 AM
Cando Man
Visiting Guest
AO smith the granddad of W.H.

A few years back I had the luck to go to AO smiths factory down in Georgia it was a 4 day trip i'll never forget , went Darlington raceway seen both races and then Monday toured AO Smith plant I must say they do major testing , the glass lining inside all W.H. is made and sold by AO S .
enough of all that , my parents have an AO S and it is 31 years old and has never been worked on knock on wood its got to go soon i keep saying its never been flushed either i would have to say the watersoftner played a roll for it lasting.
I like the Bradford White overall i also attended 2 BF W seminars . I think its all in the design off the fill tube . as a plumber we install both mainly Bradford White.
just like the post before mine you would be surprised who makes who .
1 company could make same product and put what ever name on it .
thats what keeps the world going round and round good luck

Old 06-06-05, 05:25 AM
Howyadoit
Visiting Guest
Out of Curiosity?

Who are the manufacturing companies and who do they brand for?
Example, I know that American Water Heater Company makes Whirlpool, who do the following make for?

A.O. Smith:
Bradford White:
State:
American:
Rheem:
Etc.:?

Old 06-10-05, 06:31 AM
earthbru
Visiting Guest
I did not flush my water heater once a year. I did, however, drain about one gallon out of it every other year. I am discouraged from doing it more ofter because the plastic drain valve is so hard to close. It usually drips after I use it and I end up tightening a little at a time over a week's time. I need to use a tool to get it tight enough to stop dripping and I am afraid of breaking it.

I always look at the water that comes out when I drain the gallon out and it always looks very clear.

Do you think I should add a water filter to the feed in?

Old 06-12-05, 09:44 AM
No. Filters are for cold water applications only, you'd have to install filter at least 10 feet away or install an inline check valve to preven thermal expansion from creeping into that filter. That would be a bacterial breeding ground otherwise.

One simple way to fix a leaking spout, replace it.

Unscrew it, break it out, get the steel IPS threads clear and install either a made up ball valve with hose threads (boiler drain) or buy a brass valve that is designed like what you have. The full port ball valve is the best application for the water heater for decent flow. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Old 06-14-05, 07:05 AM
T
If you are purchasing an electric heater, I have had great luck and so has my brother with Marathon heaters. They are pricey but well-constructed.

If you are going for a gas or oil heater, try checking out this resource first:
http://www.aceee.org/consumerguide/topwater.htm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: