Plumbing code for Dallas, TX

Old 06-21-05, 09:01 AM
1sttimhomeowner
Visiting Guest
Question Plumbing code for Dallas, TX

How can I find out all the plumbing codes for replacing a electric water heater in my garage (40 gl)?

I need to take 4 to 5 steps to get up to the side door of my garage, and the water heater is right next to it will it be considered 18 off the ground? What are other requirements?

Thanks.

Old 06-22-05, 08:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
For specifics on your local code, call your local building department. One thing to remember, if the installation instruction have a higher standard than code, you must follow the higher standard which would be the installation instructions.

Otherwise, 18" or higher than the slab where the garage door meets the floor. (local code will dictate if this requirement is required with an electric water heater - code calls for "any source of combustion" which does not always mean an open flame) It must be protected from vehicle impact. There must be at least a valve on the cold water inlet line. There must be an electrical disconnect close to the unit. You will most likely need a drain pan and then this piped to the outside. T&P valve is drained to pan, if you have a pan.

One more thing about the T&P line. Many people just pipe this to an outside location which the code calls for (in some applications) but overlook the requirement that there must be a way to visually check the operation of the vavle while standing at the heater. You must install an "airgap" fitting (Watt's makes one just for this) that allows the T&P valve to be check for opening and positive closure. You probably want to check into this if you plan on running the T&P line to the outside.

Good luck with your project and if you have more questions, ask and someone will answer you.

Old 06-23-05, 03:06 PM
1sttimhomeowner
Visiting Guest
Smile Thank you!

I got what I was looking for by calling the phone number on the following website:

http://www.dallascityhall.com/dallas...echanical.html

Notuboo, thank you so much!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: