Water Heater Knocking

Old 07-28-05, 08:49 AM
SD303
Visiting Guest
Water Heater Knocking

I have a 40 gal Gas Direct Vent "Powerflex - American Water Heater".
About 10 minutes after it turns on, a knocking noise comes from inside. The best way to explain it would be that it sounds like rocks are moving around inside. It last until it turns off. I have no signs of leaking and have no problems getting hot water in showers etc. I drained the heater and noticed the water was normal color. The heater is about 8 years old and this problem started about 2 weeks ago. Any suggestion?

Old 07-28-05, 11:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
SD303, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
I would say the problem is sediment on the bottom of the tank. When the unit turns on, the sediment is actually "frying". You mentioned that you drained it. Did you ALSO flush it? This needs to be done also. The cold water coming in through the dip tube will get the sediment moving around so it can exit through the drain. I have included a link with proper procedure to do this. Just click on the link. Good luck.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=134483

Old 10-30-10, 04:36 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New at this! I hope this is the right forum. My 5 year old water heater, just starter making a noise that sounds like metal expanding and contracting. I've had two company's here, one put a new baffle in, which didn't work, and the other one, said it was a pan under the burner making the noise, and not to worry. It still is banging.

Old 10-30-10, 10:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It may seem like a good idea to piggyback on another thread, but it tends to cause confusion.

My suggestion is to repost on a new thread --- we have lot's of those available!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: