Leaking toilet - leaking/broken water heater relationship??

Old 09-01-05, 12:34 AM
dcminsf
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Leaking toilet - leaking/broken water heater relationship??

The toilet "leaks" after the flush cycle completes. To stop the "leaking", I have been shutting off the valve below the tank (the valve on the lead which enters the wall and the plumbing). This situation and the adopted strategy have been going on for many months.

Late tonight, the gas water heater was discovered to have leaked. There is a small, shallow puddle under the water heater, from which water trails over the garage floor.

The leak seems to have stopped. Also, I turned the water heater dial to the OFF position. I suppose the limited extent of leaking means there still remains a nearly full water supply while we await the plumber and new replacement.

Question: Could there be any relationship between these two incidents?
In advance, thank you very much, indeed, for replying.

Old 09-01-05, 04:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
dcminsf, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
The only common thing I can think of would be age. No connection between the two leaking.
Where is the toilet leaking from "after the flush"? We can help you do some repairs yourself. Please reply back.

Old 09-01-05, 08:58 AM
dcminsf
Visiting Guest

Thank you, Majakdragon. That there's no relationship is certainly a relief.

The owner's plumber has looked at the toilet problem and determined that tank parts have worn and need to be changed. (Will be done later on, as it seems the strategy of shutting the valve buys a little time for more time-sensitive issues.) The toilet is only 7 yrs old, a water-conserving model which was specially available via City and County govt auspices at a very good, low price - meaning, probably a good-design/low-quality item not built for long life. It started falling apart in the first year --- paint chipping off the lid, screws falling off hinges, chronic occasional leaking developing (the forerunner to the present situation) ... etcetcetc.

Answering your question: It's leaking from the tank into the bowl.

On the other hand, the water heater is probably old (very) and in need of replacement. I can't find the place of the leak, but it seems to be from the bottom; however, I can't tell if it's from a pipe, valve, or the floor of the unit. I can't find the size because the blanket covers any info; my guess is that it's a 40-gallon unit.

It seems to be a slow leak, small trickle, but continuous nonetheless. We're using as little water as possible, to conserve the remainder. I turned off the heat (gas water heater) for safety, as there is water on the floor and the unit stands right next to the gas furnace.

My new question: To protect stored goods and to conserve water, is there any way I can stop the leak while we await the plumber?

Again, thank you for your interest and reply.

Last edited by dcminsf; 09-01-05 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-01-05, 09:30 AM
The toilet leak is probably a bad flapper or mineral deposits on the seating surface for the flapper. Cheap item to fix and about two minutes work. One other thing you can check is the water level in the tank. It may be running into the overflow tube. This can be corrected by adjusting the fill-valve.
The water heater is a different animal. Since you cannot see where the leak is coming from. Could be where the pipe go into the heater, the temp/pressure relief valve or a hole in the tank. The water can be running down under the insulation from anywhere on the tank. If it's going to be a while before the tank is fixed or replaced, you would want to place a pan under the heater to protect the floor from damage. Good luck.

Old 09-01-05, 10:45 AM
dcminsf
Visiting Guest

Gee, Majakdragon, you're so quick with your replies. I really appreciate your kindness, very much.

I couldn't find a pan that would fit under. The owner has several plumbers, so one is usually available among the very-busy several ... though it could be a good while nonetheless. Luckily, one happens to be around the neighborhood today and able to be coming in an hour to install a new water heater. Thank you so much for your help, Majakdragon.
Meantime, I shut off a water-supply valve (suggestion from one of them). It seems to have stopped the 'sound' of running water, and 'movement' seems to have ceased in the little moisture streams on the floor. So, I guess it worked.

I think you're right-on about the toilet. It's not a common brand, like Kohler or American Standard, so the parts are not broadly available - and the toilet is these awful "low-boys" which have non-standard measurements. . . . Such as it is! I will go back there and check the water level for possible overflow, as you suggested. Sometimes I have to bend the float-arm to control the water line. Thank you, again, Majakdragon, very much.

Old 09-01-05, 11:05 AM
We at DIY are always here to help you with your problems. Sometimes it takes a while to get an answer as most of us work at our particular trades, but we do try to answer all questions. If the water in the toilet is going into the overflow, there are two screws at the end of the arm for the float. Tighten the one that is closest to the center of the fill-valve. This will make the water shut off earlier than it currently is and maintain the proper water level. There should be a mark on the inside of the tank that says "water level". It should be about 3/4" lower than the top of the overflow tube.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: