Sizing a small water heater

Old 09-01-05, 12:12 PM
md1978
Visiting Guest
Sizing a small water heater

I need some guidance on sizing a small, electric water heater for a shop. I have a pantry sink, two water closets (tank type) and a lavatory sink.

I've read through a few old texts but haven't been able to nail down a sizing methodology. I know I can easily oversize it and not worry about it again, but Id like to optimize my design and not buy more than I need.

Thanks!

Old 09-01-05, 12:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The deciding factor would be what you are going to be using hot water for besides hand washing. If the pantry sink will only be for washing dishes and the lav sink for washing hands, a five gallon heater would fit your needs. If you will be using it for cleaning the shop (mopping floors and such) I would go to 10 gallons. For the dishes and hands, there will be a mixing of hot and cold water. It also depends on how many people will be using the sinks in succession. There is a recovery question here. For any shop, I would go with a 20 gallon tank. It's not really overkill but it will serve your needs. You'll notice I didn't quote any standards. Thats because each situation is different and only you know about how much water you will need. Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: