gas vs electric water heater

Old 10-28-05, 12:04 PM
lizmccard
Visiting Guest
gas vs electric water heater

Hi! This is my very first post so please be patient with me. I am in the process of building a house in a community that has gas appliances such as water heater and gas furnace. I want all electric. Is there a difference in plumbing for gas water heaters vs electric water heaters?

Old 10-28-05, 12:53 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,289 Upvotes on 1,227 Posts
No. Why do you want all electric?

Old 10-28-05, 09:23 PM
lizmccard
Visiting Guest
It's just a preference. Basically don't want to worry about gas leaks. Here's the problem...the builder has told me that since I want an electric water tank instead of the standard gas water tank it will cost double to hire the plumber. I think they are trying to "pull one over on me." Am I correct?

Old 10-29-05, 09:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The plumbing should not cost more. An electrican would need to be hired to install a 220v feed to the new electric water heater. This would be an extra expense.

Just a thought; most folks want to do just the opposite (replace electric with gas). You would have little worry with a properly installed and inspected gas system.

Old 10-29-05, 11:05 AM
lizmccard
Visiting Guest
The standard gas water tank is 50 gallons. Researching online, I found that an 80 gallon electric is equivalent to 50 gallon gas. Do I need a dedicated circuit breaker for the new 80 gallon electric in addition to the 220 volt feed?

Old 10-29-05, 09:20 PM
Yes, you will need a circuit breaker dedicated to the water heater. I am not a electrican, so if you need information on the type, size, wiring, etc, I suggest you post that question in the electrical forum of this website.

Old 10-29-05, 10:31 PM
lizmccard
Visiting Guest
So is it safe to say that there is absolutely no difference in plumbing? And it should not cost double for the plumber? Thanks for all of your wisdom...knowledge is power!

Old 10-30-05, 09:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,289 Upvotes on 1,227 Posts
In summary: no extra plumbing costs, but potentially some extra electrician costs.

Old 10-30-05, 04:53 PM
H
Gas water heater: more in plumbing costs. Need gas line to heater. If it's a standard gravity water heater, no electric cost. If power vent, ok to plug into standard wall outlet.

Electric water heater: same water lines, no gas line, dedicated electric line.

Old 10-31-05, 10:12 AM
lizmccard
Visiting Guest
I met with the salesperson this morning. We've decided to stay with the gas water heater and gas furnace. All of your input has helped me become more confident that gas if safe and more efficient. Plus, the builder believed that the plumber should be paid double, extra for electrician because "electric water heater installation is more complicated than gas!" Instead of being taken advantage of, this young lady will heed the advice of the wise men of doityourself.com! Thank you all so much!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: