GHW heater, high pressure

Old 12-21-05, 09:19 AM
EdS
Visiting Guest
GHW heater, high pressure

I seem to have a potential problem. The pressure relief on the water heater has been dripping for a few days now. I'm assuming from reading other threads that the pressure from heating the water is creating this pressure rise which BTW is also pressurizing my cold supply as well. When the faucet is turned on water rushes out (hot or cold) for a few seconds then returns to normal flow.

I have not consulted my local water company about this problem (yet). Any thoughts? Is there a possibility of tank failure (water gushing all over the floor)?

Data: 40gal, gas heat, GE, approx 6yrs old. (9 yr limited warranty), never serviced

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-05, 07:46 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Ed.

Certainly worth checking with the water supplier. May have a defective water pressure regulator. Which is built into the water meter and may have a regulator at the main inlet water line into the house.

Once the correct water inlet pressure to the house can be determined not to be the cause of the problem, worth checking the water heater. Check the set temp. Need not be any higher than 140 degrees water outlet temp at any faucet. If need be, adjust water temp lower using the temp dial on the control.

If there is any warm water comming out of any cold water faucets, when any faucet is turned on for any amount of time period, immediately turn off hot water heater and contact a plumbing professional. Water heaters thermostat is likely unable to accurately control water temp. A potentially dangerous and/or hazardous condition exits.

Thermostat failure likely to occur. Should thermostat fail in the closed position, there will not be any control of temp, burner will not cycle on and off. Likely to remain on. A potentially dangerous and/or hazardous condition than exits. Pipes can burst, faucet valves become unseated and tank can rupture, etc.

WATER HEATER HELP LINK:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=159797

WATER HEATER FAQ'S:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=157837

Check back on your question several more times. Other members and the plumbing professionals posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas and or repair methods.

Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."