What is wrong with my hot water heater?

Old 01-02-06, 11:22 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is wrong with my hot water heater?

I just moved into a house about 2 months ago. The current hot water heater is between 7 and 9 years old. The water heater is a 40 gallon gas model. For the first 2 months there were no problems with having hot water. All of the sudden, my wife gets in the shower one morning and we have warm, not hot water. She turned the cold water off in the shower and the water was barely warm enough to be comfortable. I got in the shower about 30 minutes later and it was the same story. I went downstairs and made sure the burner was on, and it was. I turned the heat setting up to the next setting, but the next morning we still had lukewarm water. Strangely, the day after that, we were back to having hot water. What is going on here? Keep in mind that this is the morning, before we have even turned anything else on like the washing machine or dishwasher.

Thanks

Old 01-02-06, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by XS6DFG0
The current hot water heater is between 7 and 9 years old.
Dip Tube is what it sounds like. You'll have to remove the cold water line into the top of the tank and inspect to see if the dip tube is gone or not.

When you stated 9 years, that is the window of when dip tubes were defective on the top 3 mfg. of water heaters. That class action lawsuit is long gone, I've done quite a few of these replacements last year.

Old 01-02-06, 06:02 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Smile My Dimes Worth

Hello: XS6DFG0

Fact that water temp varies may indicated it's the faucet and not the water temp. When the condition occurs, does it also effect the water temp in the kitchen sink? If not, it's the shower faucet. If the sink is also effected, it may be the dip tube as mentioned by our professional plumber Dunbar...

Another point to make is checking water temp both at the shower and at the kitchen or bath room sink when the condition effects the shower. Have to determine more accurately where the problem exists, if it does, other than focusing only on the shower. May not be the water heater. May be that one faucet. Worth trying before pulling out the dip tube, in my opinion.

WATER HEATER HELP LINK:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=159797

WATER HEATER FAQ'S:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=157837

Be sure the appliance is turned off before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever a repair includes any connection of a gas part, gas line, gas tubing and/or gas supply.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent & All Forums Monitor.

Old 01-03-06, 08:32 AM
X
When this originally happened, I checked the water at the kitchen sink and it was also cool.

The bottom of the water heater is pretty corroded too. Maybe i'll just see about having the water heater replaced.

Do you guys have any idea how much it would cost to have a hot water heater (40 gallon, gas) replaced in the Pittsburgh area? Do you prefer any certain brand?

Thanks

Old 01-03-06, 08:41 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
We do not normally recommend one brand over the other. Fact is that one manufacturer may/does make models and put other names on them. What you need to check is the energy efficiency that is stated on the sticker affixed to the tank. Then READ the warranties that go with each brand. Some are parts and labor and the length of time varies from each manufacturer.
I cannot give you an estimate of cost due to local contractor wages being different from area to area. You may want to consider DIYing it. We are always here to help. Good luck.

Old 01-03-06, 09:03 AM
X
I love DIY projects, but plumbing scares the absolute crap out of me. I guess I worry about soldering pipes the most. I've soldered electrical connections before, but not copper pipes. A local company quoted me at $430 to install a RUUD Guardian water heater. The warranty was 6 year on leakage and parts. They offered a 12 year warranty for $120 extra. I guess I'll compare that price against what it would cost for me to do it.

Old 01-03-06, 09:28 AM
I have included a link that you may find interesting no matter how you decide to go. Good luck.
Just click on the link.

http://www.doityourself.com/info/h2handlecopper.htm

Old 01-03-06, 10:36 AM
X
Thanks.

Would you take the rigid copper pipes right to the tank or cut them back a bit and use water heater connector hoses?

Old 01-03-06, 11:30 AM
My personal preference is solid piping with unions (for future removal/repair) sweated into the lines. The flex lines work and are great for DIYers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: