tankless heater

Old 01-07-06, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tankless heater

My tankless heater turns warm then cold after about 3-4 minutes running.
It has a 3 spigot(?) 1/2 in. tempering valve. The valve is set for the highest position. I have another tempering valve and am wondering if i can just replace the innards. tankless heater is in a ~10 yr. old system.
Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-06, 02:21 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Arrow More Info Requested

Hello: daswede

Tempering valve? Or you mean temperature control valve?...

Have another valve? Identical to existing valve? New or Used?

Water heater brand name and model number???

Still being made by manufacturer? Or obsolete unit???

CAUTION NOTE:
The other valve you mentioned having should not be used, if not brand new or an OEM. Not always interchangeable even if they look alike. Avoid a melt down if burner does not shut off as a result of a defective valve or whatever you are referring to.

Any used valve, not used even for a short time, can cause huge troubles some time soon after installation or anytime there after. Or that valve is already defective and the reason why it is used. Depends oupon where you got it from or from whom you got it from.

Have you attempted to contact the manufacturer?
Most of them listed in the sticky note or in the related ads to the right>>> in the fourm topic or google ads below, etc.

Tankless Water Heater Help & Informational Link:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=147262

Any local dealers in your area? If so, contact them for problem solving and or OEM parts. Always best to use OEM parts, IMO.

3 spigot(?) I don't have a clue about this either nor what is meant by it nor what you mean by 3 spigot???

May be able to help you and would like to help further. Provide more detailed and specific info.

Sharp Advice. Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 01-07-06, 02:51 PM
Thanks for your quick reply,
Will try to be more specific . The valve appears to about 3" long with 3 1/2"
sweat fittings, HOT,COLD and OUT. At one end of the valve there is a screw dial with settings for 120deg,140deg.,160deg,and 180deg. the dial setting is at the 180deg. mark. The manufacture stamp on the side of the valve is:
TEMP A RATOR. Googled the TEMP A RATOR and could not get a hit.

Old 01-08-06, 08:17 AM
After more research iv'e found the equivelent to the one on the tankless heater. Its a Watts #70A tempering valve. I will replace the existing valve with a this valve. Hope this cures the problem,otherwise i'm looking at a new tankless heater(inside boiler jacket) or just installing a 40 gal.external water heater. Cost wise they both are probably about the same.

Old 01-10-06, 05:55 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: daswede

Once you complete the transfer to the new valve, post back the results. Be interesting to know the results.

Still some questions I would like an answer to, if you care to reply.

Brand name of the heater?
Is the manufacturer still in business?
Have you been able to google the brand name and get a hit back?
Any local dealers for the unit?

Point here is, what has likely happened to you happens to many and has happened to many owners of prior tankless units. One part failure and the entire unit is unusable because of a lack of parts, dealers and local service agents, etc.

*Tankless Water Heater Help & Informational Link:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=147262

As a result, the entire unit is useless and must be replaced with another tankless unit or a tank type unit. Which may happen once again with current tankless units, until a few manufacturers finally take over the entire industry and do remain in business, etc. Or the entire industry fails once again*.

Old 01-10-06, 07:19 AM
Hi sharp advice,
I don't know who the manufacture of the tankless heater is,and i don't recognize the boiler manufacture name at all. I suspect the system was some kind of lot heating pkg. by the house builder when he built several homes in the area. My first home had a tankless heater and it worked fine for about 8-10 years then i started having troubles with it as i have now with this boiler. My thoughts are that the tankless heater has clogged up and parts are probably not available, as the present "tempering valve". I'm not really into tearing the boiler a part and ,hopefully fixing the problem.
If the tempering valve doesn't solve the hot water flow volume i will install a regular water heater tank.
I'll post back when i get the tempering valve changed out.
Thanks for your help.

Old 01-29-09, 08:57 AM
So, did you replace the valve?

I have the same problem - and the oil company wants to plumb in a whole new valve assembly for $300. Were you able to replace your temp-a-rator with the Watts #70a?

Old 01-29-09, 03:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This is an old thread. I will email 'daswede' for you and see if he will chime back in.

Old 01-29-09, 05:18 PM
tankless w/h

your experiencing cold water sandwich, example: you open your faucet and wait for hot water...it takes 3/4 of a gallon of water to move thru the water heater before the water heater will sence the movement and come on...ok now you have hot water at the faucet (lets say 120 degrees)...you then turn off the hot water and eat supper...now your hot water lines are cooling off due to outside/or crawlspace temperature...now you go to wash the dishes..you turn on the hot water and notice that the water is warm then cold..the cold water is the 3/4 of a gallon i mentioned before that the water heater must sence before it comes on....after the cold water comes thru then you notice 120 degree hot water again...this is normal the only solution is a circulation pump that will move the water in the hot water lines 4 times fast and dump it into the cold water lines...look up tankless water heater circulation pumps on google

Old 01-29-09, 07:20 PM
Hello,

I just got a message from HotinOKC regarding this thread.

Sorry to say this is NOT me who posted here. My handle is
correct,but somehow someone has been able to log-in as me,...daswede.

I read the Op's message,and the answer from 'daswede', and
all i can say is that i never had a tankless heater.

Anybody have any idea how this happened?

The real daswede

Old 01-29-09, 07:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Very odd......I'll have someone look into it, and get back with you.

Old 02-09-09, 11:47 AM
Reading between the lines it appears the OP is discussing a tankless coil on a boiler not a tankless heater

Wrong use of terminology is my bet