Reliance Water Heater

Old 01-07-06, 09:36 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reliance Water Heater

A Reliance water heater five years or so old.A few days ago I noticed small amount of water under around the bottom of water heater.Today the water was much too hot and after I ran a bath tub of much too hot water,I never got hot water again.I took the inspection door off and the insulation is soaked, the reset was kicked.I turned down the tempature and reset the reset button.I then seemed to hear the tank filling up.I'm going to wait till am and see if theres hot water.Can you tell me what might be going wrong with the heater.Its an electric 50 gallon water heater,Cecil.

Old 01-08-06, 03:48 PM
turn it off now
call a plumber to replace it.
its what we call a leaker

Old 01-08-06, 08:20 PM
R
The reason you found the water at the bottom of the heater is because water flows downward. The leak could be from anywhere, even the top. Most leaks are caused by corrosion, which can't be repaired, and the heater will have to be replaced, but if it's a loose fitting, it shouldn't be hard to find. Five years is usually too soon for a corrosion failure, especially if the tank has been drained on schedule, and is usually the time for replacement of the anode rod. If the CB tripped while you were filling the tub, inspect the hot water outlet for leaks.

Old 01-09-06, 09:19 AM
There is also the possiblity that the bottom element has shorted out or a thermostat that has failed 'on', so that the element is always on. This would overheat the water which could cause the water to leak. As already stated by razz, the tank is too young to die.
Shut off the power. Try to determine where the water is leaking from (check at top and bottom elements and T&P relief). Check the resistance of each element to ground.
What do you find?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: