feed line is getting warm

Old 01-11-06, 07:18 AM
W
wgc
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
feed line is getting warm

I have a 40 gal gas water heater the previous owner put in about 5 years ago (five year warranty was up this past summer). One of the things I noticed is the copper feed pipe is pretty warm all the way (about 10' of pipe) back to the main and that is warm for a couple of feet in each direction. Is this normal or something I should/can do something about?

The thermostat on the tank is variable but marked at 'Low', 'A', 'B', 'C', and 'Highest'. I have it set just past the 'A', based on getting a comfortable amount of hot water, so I don't think it is set too high.

Old 01-11-06, 08:18 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: wgc

Most likely and more often than not, simply heat transfering back from hot water in tank to inlet water when long duration times between usages. Unless the toilet tanks inlet water is not cold.

To determine, flush toilet and note incoming water temp. Cold? Or cool??? Ambient temp? All is okay. Warm, not so. Problem exists.

Repeat test at faucets and washer. Use only cold water settings at faucets, showers and washer. Warm water where cold is supposed to be????... problem exists....

Seek professional plumbers help. May be a backfeed or crossed water line.

If you need further assistance, use the reply button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members and the plumbing professionals posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, suggestions and or repair methods.

Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 01-11-06, 07:50 PM
W
wgc
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
no problem

All the cold water is running icy cold (at this time of year), so it sounds like I do not need to worry about this particular problem. Thank you for the advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: