Found fix for water heater leak!!

Old 01-12-06, 08:15 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Found fix for water heater leak!!

Just wanted to let everyone know of the fix that I found for the hot water heater that I've been having problems with..(nobody in town knew how to fix the leak from the T&P valve or to diagnosis it as thermal expansion).

Anyway, tonight we installed a WATTS Governor 80 Series "Ball Coc and Thermal Expansion Relief Valve". $49.00 at Watts web site. It was easy to install ourselves (put it in the spare bathroom toilet) and when the pressure in the hot water heater reached 80 psi the Governor 80 began to slowly bleed off water into the toilet tank then the pressure went back down after a few moments. MUCH better than draining from the T&P valve into a 5 gallon bucket when it reached 150 psi.

Thanks for all your help and if anyone is interested in more info on this device let me know.

jolynndan

Forum Monitors Note:
For the purpose of continuity of following along,
Original question here: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=247980

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 01-13-06 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Added link to original post on the same topic
Old 01-13-06, 10:08 PM
Thank you for the update. I really appreciate the end of the story.

Old 01-20-06, 02:39 PM
I still think the fix was the wrong thing to do. I think you said the water pressure was already near 70 psi in the house. If the relief valve in the toilet weakens as it will over time, you will have a constant stream of water going down the drain. It will go unnoticed until you get your water bill and then you will get a shock. The donestic expansion tank is the only correct way to fix the problem.

Ken

Old 01-20-06, 03:40 PM
Kfield

I agree with your post, you are one of the few that understands thermal expansion. "May the force be with you".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: