Gas water heater to electric water heater

Old 01-19-06, 05:18 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas water heater to electric water heater

Hi I was wondering if you can convert a gas water heater to an electric water heater. I bought a old laundrymat and there are 3 big envirotemp 50 gallon lpg tanks here that where hooked up to a propane tank. I want to get rid of 2 and convert one to electric power.. Can this be done and if so where do I get a conversion kit thanks for any input

Old 01-19-06, 05:26 PM
G
The Short Answer Is No

Even if the tank was designed to accept electric heating elements it would not be reasonable to convert it to electric. By the time you purchased the components required it would cost you more in the end than purchasing a new electric water heater.

Gus

Old 01-19-06, 05:35 PM
B
Thanks Gus

Thanks for the input Gus appreciate that.....

Old 01-19-06, 08:22 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Bidman37,

Like Gus said, the only way you will change the WH's from LPG to electric is by changing the entire units.

My question would be "WHY??"

3 LPG heaters will cost about the same or less to operate than one LPG and one electric, and you won't run out of hot water. One electric won't match the recovery time of 2 LPG units.

Old 01-20-06, 03:44 AM
G
Good point lefty.

Old 01-20-06, 07:06 AM
F
points to consider : electric water heaters cost less to buy than gas heaters.
gas heaters recover faster than electric, have more service points, require venting. they perform well in high gpm demand.
electric heaters recover slower hence do not supply the high gpm but when the demand per hour is low they can be less expensive to operate because they don't lose heat through the venting system when not in use. when you start to get picky about costs, the electic unit is acually allowing you to defer the cost of operation compared to gas which you are paying for before you actually need it. consider all the pro's and con's, and your lifestyle before changing anything.

Old 01-20-06, 02:56 PM
B
good points but

My reason to go to electric is that I have no propane tank so i would have to buy one and then buy the gas and fill it and then refill...the price is quite high and this would be the only appliance running off it..would that justify the expense of a propane tank and then refilling it??instead of buying a electric tank?

Old 01-20-06, 03:57 PM
F
you have to go back and ask yourself those questions:
do you have a high demand for hot water ?
in my opinion gas heaters have only two advantages these days
1. fast recovery 2. the ability to run off of a generator with low ac consumption.
gas used to be economical but the fuel cost is too high these days.
and i really back off because of the LP requiring "pay before you play" as opposed to natural gas. for years i considered switching to gas but the generator running the water heater issue is no longer enough to make the conversion practical.
i have two people in the house, both work full time. i have the heater on a timer so i'm no where in the range of getting any benefit from a gas heater.
my dryer is elctric, stove, heatpump. i might consider switching to natural gas if it were available but only for the stove and generator . it's a personal choice but you need to consider all the aspects. so ask around and put it to paper. numbers don't lie.

Old 01-20-06, 04:06 PM
H
Originally Posted by Bidman37
My reason to go to electric is that I have no propane tank so i would have to buy one and then buy the gas and fill it and then refill...
Most propane suppliers "loan" their tanks. If your gas lines are already in place there should be little or no fee for the company to come and install their tank, hook up and check out the gas system. The only real expense involved at that point is the cost of the fuel.

You would be initially charged for a fuel tank of propane, then the cost of periodically refilling what you used.

Old 01-20-06, 04:16 PM
F
that is true in some situations. and a point that should be condidered. however, in my area what used to be free is no longer. LP suppliers are tightening margins and unwilling to amortize the cost to themselves of the tank unless you are a potential bulk user. granted, i've only run into this because of the fact i sell standby generators and spec the installation. back in 98 or 99 you coulc get the supplier to drop a 250 - 300 for no charge. but now , if the generator is the only reason they won't do it. not enough revenue for them. it's funny, in 1978 when i moved here, the LP supplier gladly set up two 100's and all we had was a gas dryer and grill. try that now !

Old 01-20-06, 05:21 PM
J
I would seriously consider the electric heater especially if your hot water consumption is low. With gas, the standby losses are high. This was the topic of another thread posted on this board several days ago.
Another point to consider is the age of the existing heaters. It's possible they may need replacement soon anyway. Besides, a new electric water heater can be purchased for around $200. Substantially less than filling that new propane tank. If, in the future your demand goes way up or propane becomes cheap, you can always switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: