Replacing Water Heater - Won't Drain

Old 02-09-06, 11:36 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing Water Heater - Won't Drain

The sticker on the side of the old 50 gallon, one element Sand Hog says it was installed in 1983. So after only 22 years it starts to seep water - what's up with that? I've studiously neglected to drain it each year, never tested the temp/pressure relief valve and this is the thanks I get? What happened to old-fashioned American craftsmanship and pride in what you manufacture?

...and, having never drained it, no water comes out the valve now. Naturally. What are my options here? The unit is on a concrete floor in the basement laundry room, and the sump is about 6 feet away so there is place to send water, I just need to know the best choice. Compessed air into the "cold in" line... drill into the side.. can opener?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Old 02-09-06, 12:30 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Mine drained painfully slowly, until I opened up the T & P valve. I even had a few HW taps open to let air in, but it just dribbled until I flipped the valve - then it really went. Try that.

You can also shove a clotheshanger (or other strong wire) end into the drain valve and try to push some sediment out of the way.

Luck!

Old 02-10-06, 05:45 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Since the heater is on a concrete floor and the sump is near, it may be easiest to unscrew the valve from the heater. Be sure the water is turned off if you go this route.

Old 02-11-06, 07:10 AM
G
Daniel Bernoulli To The Rescue...

Pushed a garden hose into the tank and siphoned
off the water into the sump. No muss and no fuss.
Thanks for the pompt replies to my question...

Rick

Last edited by goofyfish; 02-11-06 at 07:28 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: