Dual Hot Water Heaters - How To?

Old 02-17-06, 12:40 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dual Hot Water Heaters - How To?

I have read about using two smaller hot water heaters instead of one large one with an improvment in efficiency. I will need to replace a 75 gal. gas HWH (with 73,000BTU/Hr input burner) soon and would greatly appreciate comments on this approach and advice on how to plumb this arrangement. As I recall reading, it was more complicated than simply running a series arrangement.
Thanks,
fejennings

Old 02-17-06, 12:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
fejennings, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
I am not sure how it would be more efficient, especially energywise. You would be supplying power (gas or electric) to two units instead of one. Both units would have cool-off periods that would mean the heat source would need to be energized.
I suppose you could run the first heater from the water supply at a lower temperature and the second heater at the temp you need to have for your house. The first heater would preheat the water and feed the second heater. The set-up would be : cold water supply into first heater, hot water discharge connected to second heaters cold water inlet and then hot outlet of second heater to your supply lines.
What you may have seen here is using two heaters to seperate the house. One heater for say the kitchen and laundry and the second heater for the bathroom(s) or some set-up like this. You would have to run new plumbing to the heaters from each room served by each heater. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: