Running out of hot water

Old 02-20-06, 06:50 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running out of hot water

I just moved into a colonial style house with oil hot water, I have two bathrooms on the second floor the question is why would I always run out of hot water in the master bath shower and not in the main bath shower? Aren't they fed from the same hot water supply line up from the basement? Any ideas? the boiler is around 10 years old with the hot water coils in the boiler. Thanks. I was thinking of installing a 40 gal. indirect hot water heater to solve the problem. No replies? Was it something I said? Is a Turbo Max indirect water heater a good choice?

Last edited by seacilian; 02-22-06 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-22-06, 04:26 AM
That's a 1st for me. Do you have control of the hot water at the shower or is there a mixing valve involved somewhere ??

Old 02-22-06, 10:30 AM
S
No mixing valve but my suspicion is the coils in the boiler can't handle the demand and the shower head in the main bath is a low flow which extends the hot water where as the one in the master bath is an old unrestricted so it just eats up water. I put a low flow in the master bath and as I suspected the hot water lasted much longer. I think the bottom line is an new indirect hot water heater and bypas the coils in the boiler since they are not doing the job anymore. Someone told me about a TURBO-Max? my son has a SuperStor ULTRA stainless steel, any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 02-23-06, 04:22 AM
Your water heater should still be able to handle a shower with the old "water user" head. I'm not a big water heater guy but I wonder if your water heater has a dip tube in it that may be bad ??

Old 02-23-06, 12:21 PM
S
No dip tube the coils are in the boiler. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: