Time to replace Hot Water Heaters

Old 03-07-06, 03:36 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Time to replace Hot Water Heaters

We have two hot water heaters which we want to replace as they are both 22 years old and we feel we should do it now before problems arise. They are Reliance 40gal. gas (Self Cleaning Sta Kleen) units. I am looking for the best energy efficient unit for replacing these, the one we are considering has the following ratings:

Manufacture = Reliance (Got over 20 years out of the original why change brands)
Model = 9-40-YKRT
Natural Gas
40 Gallon
1st. hour rating gallons = 69
Energy Factor =.59
Input per hour = 35,500
Recovery 90% rise = 35

Can someone please explain what these ratings mean as I have no knowledge if these ratings are good or bad, what is better ?. Is there somewhere that I can read up on this type of data for ratings. Is there a manufacture brand rated best overall ?.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-08-06, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The yellow and black sticker on the side of the tank will give you the energy facts. This sticker is required by the Govt. All the other ratings may be true or false and would be hard to prove when in use. Most WH are now called "quick recovery" which usually means they can reheat about 75% of the used water in one hour. If I was a homeowner looking to buy a unit, I would check the warranties and the language used in them. Some include parts and labor for one year and then pro-rated coverage of the tank for a certain number of years. Problem is, within some of the warranty words there is a clause stating how and when the unit will be covered. Some insist on a factory rep looking at the unit before a warranty will be honored. You never know how long that process could take and you are hot waterless. Others only need a local contractor to do the inspection. Good luck.

Old 03-08-06, 10:46 AM
M
Thank you for the timely response.

I called Reliance yesterday to find a local store to purchase and they recommended True Value. Today I went to the following stores to cost compare and this was the results:

True Value - No brochures nor helpfu information on Reliance products, they said the information they needed for a proper replacement was capacity, gas or electric. I informed them I needed a 40 gallon gas unit but wanted to check on the warranty and energy ratings: 1st. hour rating, Energy Factor, I/P per hour, Recovery. They said that this information was all standard with water heaters. Scratch this store as it was a worthless stop.

Ace Hardware - Only had one unit manufactured by Richmond model 6G4036F1 279.00 (6 year Warranty)

Home Depot - Two models manufactured by GE (Smartwater/Smartshield) Best model SG40T12AVH00 379.00 (12 year warranty). Better model PG40T09AVH00 348.00 (9 year warranty).

Sears -Three models: Best model 33141 419.88 (12 year warranty). Better model 33941 369.88 (9 year warranty). Good model 33640 309.88 (6 year warranty).

I will check prices when I get in the big city, as this small town shopping is a complete waste of my time.

Who makes the units sold by Sears ?.

Old 03-08-06, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Not sure who all makes them for Sears but State and A.O. Smith do.

Old 03-20-06, 08:20 AM
warranties, small town stores

A loud second to Majakdragon's post! Read the fine print on the warranty. [Did you know that Toyota's splashy ads about their great rust proof warranty do not apply to much of the US? According to Toyota headquarters in California, they would not honor the rust through warranty because the vehicle was driven on a road that is salted in winter! in addition to the fact that the rust had not yet rusted all the way through the panel!] In addition to the terms that Majakdragon referred to, is the warranty 100% or is it pro-rated depending upon age? Does it cover installation by a homeowner, or must it be installed by a licensed plumber? etc.

As for shopping in your small town, don't write that off yet. A store may have good products and prices, but you may encounter the one employee that doesn't know what they are talking about. I buy all of my appliances from a local hardware store. They have one or two employees that think they know appliances, but don't. I make it a point to ask for one of the people that regularly orders appliances. Their prices are very competitive with any of the big box stores, which are all about 45 miles away from this rural town. The service and support from my local town hardware store is far superior to the big box stores. As for hot water heaters, I buy from my plumbing wholesaler for the warranty. Twice I have installed water heaters bought from the local store (which now happens to be an Ace Hardware), at the insistence of clients, with no problems with those heaters.

Old 03-20-06, 02:01 PM
M
Talking

Thank to everyone for your inputs, I have since done more research and am more knowledgeable on what all the hupaloo wording is all about. Seems that the warranty is one item to fully understand as some cut corners on the warranty. I am definietly more educated now for when I go shopping. Once again thanks to all for your inputs.

Old 03-20-06, 07:38 PM
Recovery rate is based on burner size, and is approximately equal to 1 gallon per hour per BTU for a 90 rise. Water available for immediate use is 70% of gallon size, at a temp 20 less than thermosat setting. First hour delivery is the sum of available + recovery rate. SO: 40 gallon tank, incoming water 50 first hour = (.7 x 40) + 40 ( for 40000BTU) = 68 gallons at or above 120.
Remember, this is first HOUR not first 15 minute shower. If you use water at a rate greater than 68 gallons PER HOUR, then your available number of 28 gallons will rule.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: