Water Heater (WH) leak

Old 03-08-06, 11:43 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Heater (WH) leak

I just received a call from a renter in a townhome (Built in 2000) who said the water heater PRV (or TPV I'm not sure which acronym is correct ) is leaking. The WH s about five years old and is located in an outside shed that shares a wall with the kitchen. The leak has occured twice and water has leaked in through the wall and puddled in the kitchen floor while he was at work. (He came home during lunch to check on it) I can't get there until I get off work today but when I do I plan on replacing the PRV. Any comments or suggestions? I don't have much experience with water heaters but I'm sure that I'm capable of changing a valve. Do you think I need an expansion tank? He said he hasn't experienced any problems with pressure or loss of hot water. Also he didn't mention anything about the color of the water coming out of the valve. He is the third tenant in five years and I've never had any complaints about the WH before.

Old 03-08-06, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Changing the Relief valve is not a hard job. It just screws in with some pipe dope or teflon tape on the threads. Make sure you turn the unit off (power and cold water inlet valve) and drain the water level down below the valve before removing the old one.Check the temperature setting on the heater to see if it is on high. Relief valves open for one of two reasons. Temperature is too high or pressure is too high. Both are safety features. Good luck.
If it continues to open, then you may have to install an expansion tank.

Old 03-08-06, 02:52 PM
C
Just finished inspecting the WH and off to buy a TPV

Thanks for your reply, I'll be sure and follow your recomendation to shut off the power (if applies for a NG WH) and to shut the supply valve then drain the tank below the TPV valve. I stopped by the townhome on my way home from work and took a look at the situation. I did notice that the WH already has an expansion tank installed! Also I looked at the thermostat setting and it is set about 1/2 way between low and high. It's actually set to an arrow mark that looks like it's the reccommended setpoint. I'll replace the TPV valve but if it happens again do you think there might be a problem with the thermostat? Since we're having a problem with the water running in the kitchen I think I'm going to try find an way to route the discharge outside the wall of the shed.

Old 03-09-06, 06:20 PM
C
Replaced the T&P Valve, Lots of mineral deposits inside old valve

I replaced the T&P Valve last night and ran the discharge out the side wall of the shed onto the patio. If replacing the T&P valve didn't fix the problem then at least the discharge won't leak through the wall into the kitchen. I'm curious about the old valve though which has at least 1/16" of mineral deposits stuck to the inside wall! Is this common? Should I alert the city water department? Is this a common problem that results in a T&P valve to discharge?

Old 03-10-06, 06:27 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Mineral deposits in water (including City water) is common and not likely to change. This is why water heaters should be drained and flushed once a year. On gas units, these deposits also build up on the bottom of the tank and the heat has to go through them to heat the water. This reduces the energy efficiency.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: