Water Heater Went Bad??

Old 03-27-06, 06:53 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Heater Went Bad??

I just returned home from a long weekend away and found that I had no hot water. (Actually my wife found that we had no hot water... but I heard about it shortly there after....LOL)

After checking the water heater I saw that the vent fan was running but no flame under tank.

This water heater is natural gas, with a power vent, and has a auto igniter. Specifics:
Rheem Power Vent, 50 gal, Model 21VP50-1 Installed 10-1/2 years ago.

I cycled the power on the WH a few times and each time I did, I saw the igniter glow red, heard a few clicks and then the red glow went out. The power vent kept running the whole time. On one of the times the burner actually ignited and then went out a few seconds later.

I turned the power off and gave up, planning to call a repair man in the morning... I went back about an hour later cycled the power again and it appears to be working fine now.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong with it? Should I still call in a repair person to take a look at it?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 03-28-06, 08:07 PM
Sounds like the flame sensor either has carbon buildup or it may have a crack in it. Could also be a thermocouple situation. If the problem reoccurs again I would have it serviced to find out what the culprit is.

Let us know the results of your findings.

Old 03-30-06, 09:17 PM
D
It's been working fine all week.... for now I guess I am out of hot water with my wife and kids... LOL (I couldn't resist)

Thanks for the information. If (When) it acts up again, atleast I'll have something to pass alaong to the servce person.

Steve

Old 11-12-07, 09:55 PM
G
Me Too

This is going to sound crazy but I just got home from a trip and my wife has alerted me to the same exact problem!! But, it keeps happening. Did you ever find a cure or does anyone know what this could be? I am also in Cincinnati......Strange

Last edited by stickshift; 11-13-07 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Removed quoting of entire post
Old 11-13-07, 05:13 AM
D
I had the water heater serviced and they found that the control board went bad. If I recall correctly, it cost ~$100 to replace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: