Water heater and shower issue

Old 05-29-06, 01:53 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water heater and shower issue

When I turn on the hot water in the shower, there is almost no pressure, and an awful racket comes from the water heater. We have a gas water heater, and I have already flushed it and put new valves on both the cold water supply and hot water out lines. All other faucets in the house have good pressure, and no noises occur when they are on. Please help!!!

Thanks.

Nubinator

Old 05-29-06, 01:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 266 Upvotes on 217 Posts
Have you tried removing the shower head and turning on the water to make sure it's not a problem at that end?

Old 05-29-06, 02:01 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
nubinator, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Since none of the other faucets cause this noise or low pressure, I have to think it is the Hot faucet in the shower or the cartridge if it is single handle type. If turning just the cold water on doesn't make a noise, then it's doubtful it is the mixing valve. Pull the hot handle or the cartridge and look there first. If it is a cartridge, make sure you mark it so it goes back in the same position. Good luck.

Old 05-29-06, 02:09 PM
N
The shower is a bath shower combo. Pressure is also lost at the bath spicket on hot water only, and cold water pressure is fine at the shower head, so I am convinced that is not the problem. The shower control is one nob that is turned left for hot, right for cold. When on the cold side there is no noise, but as soon as it is turned to the hot side the is a terrible racket. I was going to check the valve/cartridge next, but I have never worked on this kind before and I am not sure how to take it out. Suggestions?

Old 05-29-06, 02:15 PM
Most of the handles have a plastic cap that can be "popped" out with a screwdriver. Then you remove the screw that holds the handle on and the cover plate. You should then see the cartride. With so many brands now, it may be different. If you can find a manufacturers name on it, we have a list of the majors at the top of the Toilets, Tubs and showers Forum. It contains the websites that you can look at disassembly diagrams.

Old 05-29-06, 02:25 PM
N
Thanks. I will look for a manufacturer. I already have the handle off. Also, we just discovered another problem. My wife just went to wash a pan and discovered that there was no hot water pressure in the kitchen. I have checked this several times in an attempt to identify exactly which faucets had/did not have pressure, and all worked except the shower, until now. Apparently the pressure problem is intermittent in the kitchen. What could cause this? This problem started abruptly a few days ago while I was taking a shower. All of the sudden the water pressure changed, like a piece of debris suddenly lodged somewhere. I have spent hours already trying to find blockages, replacing pipe, adding valves at the heater, and still nothing. The pressure is there momentarily at first, then goes away. I was convinced it was only the shower until a few minutes ago.

Old 05-29-06, 03:00 PM
Lets start at the beginning. You said you drained the water heater. Did you ALSO flush it while you had it drained? Sediment will settle on the bottom so if you just drain it, not all the sediment will drain out. While it is empty, you need to open the inlet valve and watch the discharge hose until it runs clear.
Turn off the hot water valve under the sink and disconnect the supply tube. Then hold a rag over the valve and turn it on and off 2 or 3 times. This should clear any debris where the line reduces. While you have the supply line disconnected, hold a container under it and turn on the cold water with the hot water handle open. Some faucets will allow the water to backflush the supply line and faucet.

Old 05-29-06, 03:15 PM
N
I have flushed the water heater. The kitchen sink has water pressure again, by the way. The only thing we did was leave it alone for 10-15 minutes. I came back and turned it on and the pressure was fine.

I have not checked the valves under the sink. I will do that next. Other suggestions?

Old 05-29-06, 03:40 PM
My thinking is that there is debris in the line and when you let it sit a while, it settles back down in the piping. It may be an odd shaped piece that only blocks the line when exiting the valve in a certain position. Flushing the supply valve under sinks should cure this problem.

Old 05-29-06, 03:47 PM
N
How about the problem with the low pressure and great noise when the shower is on? Would you attribute that to debris also?

Old 05-31-06, 10:30 AM
This is a typical problem with certain types of valves. I've never figured out why it's always the hot... My guess is that debris gets lodged in the pressure balancing mechanism. Replacing the cartridge usually solves it. If you can take a picture of the faucet (with or without handle), we may be able to identify it. Some replacement cartridges come with a small adapter/tool that's used to remove the old cartridge. Without that it's quite difficult to get it out. (You might also take the picture to your local home improvement store and see if they have a new cartridge.)

Doug M.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: