5K sq' ft house - 2 htrs or 1 large 1? (One or two water heaters)

Old 08-01-06, 10:17 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
5K sq' ft house - 2 htrs or 1 large 1? (One or two water heaters)

Anyone reccommend 2 w.h.'s?
1 large w.h.?
2 zones w/ 2 w.h.'s possibly?
It is a large ranch style 1 story house.

Any tips appreciated.
Thx,
Don

Old 08-01-06, 11:46 AM
J
Two water heaters can have advantages:

1.) Usually two heaters are cheaper and easier to get (no special orders) than one big one.

2.) Easier to handle, lift and transport. 40 and 50 gallon are far easier to handle than 80, 100 or 120 gallon models.

3.) If one unit breaks down, you are not totally without hot water.

Just my 2 cents. There really is no right or wrong decision.

Old 08-01-06, 12:14 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Most of the water in my home is used within a few feet of the heater. Except the kitchen, which is on the other side of the house. As a result, it takes quite a while to get hot water in the kitchen sink. I'd go for two heaters placed in different rooms to keep them as close to where you want hot water as possible.

Old 08-01-06, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
5K sq' ft house - 2 htrs or 1 large 1?

I vote for 2 heaters.

You will use less water and have a faster response and lower operating cost if your are spread out.

I had a 1900 sf one story lake home and tried 1 gas water heater. Because of the distance (50') from the main heater to the kitchen, it took forever to get hot water. I went with a 10 gallon under counter electric (switched) heater fed by the main gas heater. Turn it on on Friday and had instant water until I turned it off when I left.

You will appreciate the convenience of two heaters however you plumb them.

Dick

Old 08-01-06, 02:44 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Depending upon where the heaters are located in relation to where the hot water is used will determine if two heaters are preferable.

Remember that two heaters means twice the amount of maintenance and twice the replacement cost when that time comes. There will also be the costs invovled in the initial installation of two heaters, gas piping and exhaust vent or additional electric wiring along with drain from the T&P valve. Don't forget access for service and replacement along with an adequate source of combustion air if you are installing a gas-fired heater.

Of probably greater importance would be the adequate insulation of the piping from the water heater to the point of use. This is where you will lose the greatest amount of heat and money. The silly little 3/8 inch wall foam tubing sold at the home center is NOT adequate insulation.

Old 08-01-06, 05:49 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If bedrooms are located at the opposite end of the house from the kitchen and laundry, two water heaters would get hot water to points of use more quickly and less water would be wasted while waiting for water to get hot.

Old 08-02-06, 06:32 AM
T
I vote for 1 large heater with a recirculating pump system.

Old 08-02-06, 01:02 PM
U
I vote for two heaters - most of the same reasons. 40 gallon water heaters are cheap and easy to come by should you need a new one. 80 - 100 gallon heaters are more expensive to buy, and more expensive to operate. A re-circulation system adds expense, adds to maintenance, and requires more plumbing (and definately more insulation) - they give almost-instant hot water, but you paid for it.

Old 08-02-06, 11:12 PM
E
heaters h20

if i were you i would put in a demand hot water heater they only work when u call for hot h20 it will cut your elec bill in 1/2 allmost
Originally Posted by DMenk
Anyone reccommend 2 w.h.'s?
1 large w.h.?
2 zones w/ 2 w.h.'s possibly?
It is a large ranch style 1 story house.

Any tips appreciated.
Thx,
Don

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: