Which one is easier to move?

Old 08-12-06, 09:43 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Which one is easier to move?

Which one is easier to relocate........a washing machine or a water heater? We are considering remodeling our laundry room and one of these would have to be moved. Thanks!

Old 08-13-06, 04:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Washer needs 110 volt power, water supply lines, 2" drain with trap and vent. Water heater needs gas line or 220 volt power, if gas, it will need a vent or power vent out of the house, water supply line in and reconnection of hot water supply to fixtures. Guess it depends on which is easier for you and the locations in your house. Good luck.

Old 08-13-06, 08:09 AM
D
Well, if a moderator hadn't cut out most of my post!!!! (Read this as angry!!!!) you would have had the full picture. Let me put the full picture for you here:

*We need more laundry room space. When you come in our side exterior door, the washer and dryer are straight ahead, and there is a door going into our kitchen on the left.

On the other side of the right wall in the laundry room is a storage room that was built when our house was. It is attached to the house - it's not freestanding. The room has painted sheetrock and a stamped ceiling with overhead light fixture and electrical outlets in place. Our water heater is currently in this room.
This storage room has a door that can be accessed from the exterior, but not from the interior. We would like to "cut a hole" to access this room from the interior. We don't even need it to have a door, but just to be a doorway.

Should we attempt to move our washer and dryer and put them in the storage room or should we move the electric water heater to the other side of the storage room from where it is now (it will actually be closer to where it drains out then)? Which would be easier and less expensive? One of them has to be moved for us to create the doorway because of an electrical outlet that is in the middle of the right wall in the laundry room.

Thanks so much.

Old 08-13-06, 10:29 AM
If the water heater is electric, I would move that. If it is gas, you are talking a lot of re-routing with the gas line that may need to be done by a licenced Plumber.

Old 08-13-06, 10:52 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Donna J
Well, if a moderator hadn't cut out most of my post!!!! (Read this as angry!!!!) you would have had the full picture. Let me put the full picture for you here:

I do not see any notes indicating that your post was edited. I have not seen the moderators here edit anyone just for being long, and you post is not that long. Maybe you just hit the send key too soon?

Anyway, I believe you have all the info you need:
Gas WH needs gas line, water lines, flue pipe, and relief valve discharge. Elec. water heater needs the 240, but not the gas or flue.

Washing machine needs water and vented drain.

Given these summaries, you can evaluate your situation. If it is not clear, you could get a plumber to estimate the 2 jobs.

Old 08-13-06, 10:54 AM
D
I wrote in my post:

or should we move the electric water heater to the other side of the storage room from where it is now (it will actually be closer to where it drains out then)

Thanks majakdragon for your response. You answered my question.

Old 08-13-06, 10:56 AM
D
Salesguy,

Apparently my post was too long. I said in it that my water heater is electric, but that seems to be getting lost in the translation somehow.

Old 08-13-06, 11:11 AM
Donna, You have 2 posts going. One here and one in Windows and Doors. I didn't see the other one until later. Thats why I asked about the power source of the water heater. I do mostly Plumbing questions but when I saw your other post I read and answered it as well as possible (for me).

Old 08-13-06, 11:16 AM
D
Thanks Mr. Dragon for your help. Yes, I have two posts going because one involves the plumbing/water heater issue and one involves creating the doorway. All of the details were necessary for both subjects because of the set up of the two rooms.

When you posted in this thread at 12:29, I thought I had already written my post in this thread about the water heater being electric. It is no problem though. I realize it was a long post. I just felt all of the details were necessary.

Maybe the forums could have a place just for complicated jobs that involve multiple categories!

Thanks so much for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: