2-part question pilot light - yellow

Old 09-12-06, 02:09 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question 2-part question pilot light - yellow

1. Pilot light is yellow and seems larger then normal. I have lite plenty of pilot lights and it seems large. I just changed my Themercouple and cleaned the pilot line very well (I thought) with air and a piece of wire. What else other then dirt could cause this and should I leave it lite with this problem. The unit works OK other then the yellow pilot Light.

2. My Rheem NG 40 gallon model is pretty old at what point is it time to replace and where can I find the manufactuer date???

Old 09-12-06, 02:32 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I just changed my Themercouple and cleaned the pilot line very well (I thought) with air and a piece of wire.
Did you use the wire in the orifice just get a new one now. Most of the time all you have to do is tap on the side of it or just blow air up and in to the venturi of the pilot is all. Dont let it burn with this yellow flame it will like soot up. The size of the orifice should be on the side of it.

ED

Old 09-12-06, 06:39 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: tigerzu

"Look" for two small holes on the pilot assembly just in front of the pilot gas tube after the hex nut. Will be two air entry holes. These holes must be clear of any dust, lint or obstructions.

The air that enters these to holes are there to mix the gas with air so the fuel to air ratio is correct and pilot flame does not burn yellow.

These two holes may be in the brass or bronze nut or just after it or on the thin aluminum tube directly after the hex not. Must be cleaned out or opened.

Use a pipe cleaned if needed. Stick cleaner into hole and gently push in until the front end of pipe cleaned comes out hole where pilot flame exists.

You can also use a can of compressed air to blow out both air entry holes and hole where pilot flame would be. Once either method or both are used, re light pilot flame. Flame should now be all blue...

May also want to read the water heater sticky note for plenty more information on the subject of water heaters.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?threadid=159797

Be sure the water heater is turned off before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever a repair includes any connection of a gas part, gas line, gas tubing and/or gas supply.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members and the plumbing professionals posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, suggestions and or repair methods.

Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: