Constant water from overflow

Old 09-29-06, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Constant water from overflow

My neighbor is having problems with his Richmond model 5V30-6 gas water heater. When the water main to the heater is on, water immediately begins to pour from the drian pipe/pop off valve at the top of the heater.

I am not sure if the valve at the top is the normal overflow or if it is something else.

The water flowing from the valve is warm->hot depending (it was warm when i felt it but the main had been turned off for some time). I have also lifted the lever on the pop off when the water is running out and it does increase the flow.

I don't know if this is a normal if the tank isn't drained, or if there is something else going on.

Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks for your time!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-06, 08:34 PM
Wink

Get a new T/P valve and put it on. try this first.

ED

Old 09-29-06, 09:11 PM
Thanks ED. =)
I will try this first when the hardware store opens tomorrow. If it works you may not hear from me again. If not, I will be back here whining like crazy! lol

Old 10-01-06, 08:46 PM
What is a T/P valve?

Old 10-01-06, 09:45 PM
Wink

Thats the valve that is sometimes on top of the water tank and other times its on the side of the water tank tha T/P stands for temp and pressure. Some codes now call for it to be piped to the outside of a home now in copper. Many just hang down on the side of the heater.

ED

Old 10-01-06, 09:52 PM
Temperature/Pressure relief valve. If the temp or pressure get too high, this valve will open and relieve the pressure inside the tank so it doesn't take off like a rocket should the unitrol never satisfy. Different t/p valves have different relief specs usually printed on the valve itself, so you can match up the temp and psi with the t/p you are replacing.