Water heater doesn't drain

Old 10-03-06, 02:32 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water heater doesn't drain

I wanted to drain my water heater so, after turning off the circuit breaker, I turned off the cold water intake valve on top and opened the pressure relief valve on top too. I then opened the drain valve at the bottom but just some dirty water water came out and then stopped. The water feels gritty. I then closed the pressure relief valve and opened the cold water intake valve and a lot of water came and and kept coming out till I closed the valve again. Still no water drained out. I stuck a screw drive about six inches into the drain to clear it. It didn't help. I had the same thing happen months ago but still had plenty of hot water until it started tripping the circuit breaker over and over. I'm going to try changing the elements. Why doesn't any water come out like it's supposed to when I try to drain it ? What can I do? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-03-06, 10:21 AM
Turn a couple hot water faucets on to let air in the system instead of the TP value. TPV's can get so gummed up after time.

Old 10-03-06, 01:50 PM
Your problem is a build-up of mineral deposits in the bottom of your tank. What will replacing the element accomplish?

Old 10-03-06, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I then closed the pressure relief valve and opened the cold water intake valve and a lot of water came and and kept coming out till I closed the valve again. Still no water drained out. I stuck a screw drive about six inches into the drain to clear it.
Like said the tank should drain open some hot water valves.
First you dont open the T/P pop off. Open the bottom drain. Then first let water run for a short time out of the drain. Then shut off the cold water to the tank and go open some hot water valves the tank should drain on down then.
If you where running out of hot water could be just the bottom element. You can just Ohm out the elements and see it they are good or if its the tstat.

ED

Old 10-03-06, 04:07 PM
J
I closed the pop off valve, ran some water out of the drain at the bottom and then cut it off, and turned on two hot water faucets but no water came out of the heater. Could the tank be empty? Water comes out the of drain valve fine when I turn the cold water intake valve on. Like I said before, I had this happen months ago, with no water draining out but I still got hot water untill it started tripping the circuit breaker recently. What's going on?

Old 10-03-06, 10:00 PM
How many gallons is the tank? Maybe you should close the drain and turn on the cold water till the tank is filled. Run the air out of the system at a tap then try draining it just to be sure it is drained.

Old 10-04-06, 08:19 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

On the hot water line out of the tank there . You dont have a back flow antigravity valve there do you?? Its so the hot water cant gravity flow out of the tank. If so it wont let air back to the tank like you need.

ED

Old 10-04-06, 04:10 PM
J
How can I tell if I have a back flow antigravity valve? Thanks.

Old 10-04-06, 05:51 PM
Is there anything inline with the hot water pipe coming out of the heater? If so then describe it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: