clean burners in gas water heater

Old 10-06-06, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
clean burners in gas water heater

I keep reading how important it is to clean the burners in a hot water heater. How exactly do you do that? I solved one problem by following your instructions regarding the thermocouple -- thank you for that. But how do you clean the burners?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-06, 09:06 PM
Are you able to pull the entire burner assembly out? If you are, do so and wash with a hose, dry and replace. Remember you will be working with gas connections and a leak test must be performed after you reinstall. OR, call the gas company to see if this is necessary. Or used compressed air to blow out. Actually it is seldom necessary to clean burners unless this an older style burner with a long venturi

Old 10-07-06, 04:41 AM
If you use water to clean out the burner, make sure the burner is completely dry (inside and out) before reinstalling. The slightest bit of moisture inside the burner hole will cause problems.

When you check for leaks at the pilot and burner tubes after you reinstall, it must be when the water heater is running. If the water heater isn't running, there is no gas going through the tubes and will not show any leaks.

Old 10-07-06, 06:08 AM
Thanks for your quick responses -- The reason I want to clean them is that the flame is not all blue -- and it's getting lost of oxygen, flue is clear.

Also, what else can I use to clean if not water? is there something else that I should use?