No Hot Water

Old 10-22-06, 09:20 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No Hot Water

My Hot Wtr Htr Is 6yrs Old. No Hotwater;just Changed Both Elements But Still No Hot Water. Is It Worth My Time To Chg The Thermostat Or Just Replace. No Leaks Around Tank. Small Amt Of Wter Around Press Val. If I Replace The Thermostat Will I Have To Drain The Tank Again?

Old 10-22-06, 09:29 AM
You do not need to drain the tank to replace the thermostats. Rather than replace parts willy nilly, you could get someone in who knows how to test elements and thermostats.

There should be no "water around the pressure valve". What's up with that?

Old 10-22-06, 09:55 AM
R
no hot water

Did you check for power with a meter or a test lite?If you have 220v in coming from the breaker it could be the thermostat.No you do not have to drain tank to replace the thermostat.

Old 10-22-06, 10:24 AM
J
As mentioned, make sure the heater is getting power. I suggest you get a meter. It would have already paid for itself. Did you check the reset button on the thermostat? Was the water MUCH hotter than usual before the heater failed? If tripped, your t&p likely released water because the tank became too hot from a bad stat.

In my experience, thermostats fail long before the heating elements. It's good practice to change stats when replacing elements.

Old 10-22-06, 11:02 AM
N
No Hot Water

I Did Check The Reset Button &did Test W/a Meter. Biggest Mistake.....shld Have Replaced Stat When Did Elements. Thnks Willy Nilly

Old 10-23-06, 10:22 AM
J
Actually, you did very well. You now have a working heater that you fixed yourself and saved some $$$.

Good work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: