gas water heater pilot making 'flickering' noise

Old 11-12-06, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gas water heater pilot making 'flickering' noise

My gas water heater, when it is 'idling', makes a noise which I can only describe as a 'flickering' noise. Sounds like the sound a pilot light would make if it was being blown upon, with the flame flickering??? Anyway, when it is time to crank out the hot water, it turns on full blast and works great. It only makes that sound when it idles. Are there any easy things to check that I don't know about (I know NOTHING about hot water heaters) or should I just suck it up and call a maintennce guy/girl?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-06, 10:21 AM
hmm no opinions anyone?

Old 11-21-06, 04:28 PM
Sorry you haven't gotten any replies.

I couple of possibilities are a partially clogged pilot orifice or a draft coming down the flue pipe.

Old 11-21-06, 06:28 PM
thanks for the ideas. I understand lots of guys probably ask lots of the same questions so I understand completely when I don't get many replies. I have had lots of help in general on this forum!!

I do wonder about getting a draft down the pipe... I have noticed if I close the room up (the laundry room) that there is the faint smell of gas fumes which can build up. I am generally rather handy, but I think it is time to call in the pros (I have homeowners insurance so it will only cost $60 to have a guy come and fix everything...)

I'll update on the fix.