Replacing a Gas Water Heater

Old 11-13-06, 06:03 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 46
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing a Gas Water Heater

How diifficult is it to replace a gas water heater? We have one that was built in 1991 and seems to work okay (it's drained once a year), but there is a fitting that leaks gas near the burner periodically and that is scary.
My husband is handy with tools so would this be a safe job for a homeowner?
Old 11-13-06, 06:51 AM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 1,913
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Some areas will require this job to be done by a licensed plumber, and some places will allow a homeowner to do it, but in virtually ALL cases a permit will be required.

If your husband has any questions about how to assemble, seal, and test the gas fittings and water fittings, he could ask specific questions here.

It is not rocket science, and many do it yourself installations are done every day. Be aware that there are rules about the flue vent, the overflow valve pipes, the water, and the gas. When you buy a water heater, it comes with a fairly detailed installation manual. If he pays attention to this, asks questions, and makes sure to get the completed job inspected, you should be OK.
Old 11-14-06, 06:09 PM
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 105
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas is not a place for the do-it-yourselfer. Hire a licensed plumber! Your family's safety is on the line. A couple hundred dollars is pretty cheap insurance in my book.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: