(Gas) Water Heater/Pilot Light

Old 11-16-06, 10:41 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
(Gas) Water Heater/Pilot Light

I have an "FSG 50 248" model gas water heater which I believe the pilot light went out. We just had a couple of days of high winds locally... The builder didn't provide any doc's on the water heater to look up. Don't know exactly how to even check if the pilot light is still lit or not for that matter....

How do I check & Can I relight the pilot light myself, or do I need to call in a repairman?

Old 11-16-06, 10:48 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Look on the tank. Most of the time it tells you how to light the pilot. Or on the valve turn to pilot . Have a match at the pilot firstthen push the red button down. There should be like a small door you can take off down by the burner and see if the pilot is on or light it there.

Old 11-16-06, 11:01 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Once you remove the pilot/burner door access plate - light a match and put the flame where the pilot burner ends - push down on the red "pilot" button and the pilot flame should ignite. Continue holding down on the red button for 60+ seconds to allow the thermocouple to heat up - keeping the gas flowing to the pilot light. When you release the red button - the flame should stay on. Once it does - turn the red valve to "on" - and the burner should ignite, heating the water.

Old 11-16-06, 12:16 PM
H
Smile

Thanks!! I'll give that a shot!

Old 11-16-06, 04:28 PM
H
If it's a newer style "Flame Guard" water heater or equivalent, there is no door you need to open and you won't need a lighter. There's a spark igniter to light the pilot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: