What's inside a gas valve?

Old 11-21-06, 02:08 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What's inside a gas valve?

I need an exploded, or schematic view or blueprint type drawings of a typical gas water heater control valve. Y'know, all the drawings with the thremocouple, pilot, Tstat, control knob, gas valve, pilot valve, safeties and shut offs, all that stuff. They're all about the same, so any real good diagrams would be adequate. I've been looking on the 'nets and getting nowhere. Thanks
Old 11-21-06, 02:41 PM
Ed Imeduc's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mountain Williams Missouri
Posts: 17,505
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I dont know why. But if you need to know that bad . Id say buy a new one and take it apart
Old 11-21-06, 03:25 PM
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 657
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In short, a gas control valve consists of a magnet, spring and diaphragm with a built in thermostat. The thermocouple, pilot assembly and main burner are separate components.

The thermocouple generates electric current when heated and energizes the magnet in the gas control valve.

Somewhere in my books I do have an exploded diagram of a gas control valve but it is not serviceable. If it goes bad, it gets replaced.
Old 11-21-06, 04:31 PM
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,017
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, take one apart if you are curious, I have. Go find a throw away heater and get your valve for free. You will need a set of security torx bits and there you go.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: