New Water Heater

Old 12-27-06, 05:10 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Water Heater

I am thinking about replacing two electric water heaters mainly due to their age. Both are 40 gallon Rheem "Standard" models apprx 25 yrs old.

I notice at the big box stores, they have various models marked good, better, and best. Do brands of water heater really matter?

Any comment on Rheem "Fury" line?

And should today's water heaters be wrapped in a blanket whether in a closet, in a crawlspace, or even a gas model outside in an enclosed aquahut?

Thanks for your reply.

Old 12-27-06, 06:34 AM
25 years?

Wow, that is exceptional life for an electric. Did you replace the anode on a regular basis? That's usually what kills most of them, lack of maintenance!

The "better" models can have up to two anodes, which will extend their life. Otherwise, going with a mid priced unit and regularly checking the anode--replacing when needed--will do well by you as well. Also, flushing on a regular basis helps.

Old 12-29-06, 03:48 AM
T
no other replies from this forum's experts?

Old 12-29-06, 04:44 PM
The HD water heaters are Rheem, probaby similar to the Fury. 6/9/12 year warranty are similar. Rheem is a good brand.

The "best" ie 12 year models have a lot of insulation. In an unheated space, it is probably worth it to wrap them up. On a gas WH, I don't bother, because you can only wrap the sides, nothing at all on top..which is where you will lose the heat. On either gas or electric, it IS very worthwhile to insulate both the hot and cold lines close to the heater, and ALL exposed hot lines that you can get to.

Old 02-02-07, 06:18 PM
G
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
New water heater

I just installed a Sears Power Miser 12 year, 55 gallon electric water heater. I found out it is made by AO Smith. I paid 330.00 for it. It has 2 anodes to prevent tank rust, Super Limeguard elements, and very thick insulation (3"). The upper element is 3800 watts. The lower element can be wired for 3800 or 5500 watts. I wired mine for 5500 watt (30 amp breaker and #10 wire). I was concerned about the upper being only 3800 watts but I was informed the lower element (5500) works 90% of the time. I have plenty of hot water. I feel it is the best quality for the money. You can look on sears.com. The model number is 32154. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: