My Water Heater Day....

Old 01-13-07, 09:35 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My Water Heater Day....

I awoke early to start on the replacement of a water heater that had a slow leak. I had already turned the gas off the night before and let the heater cool off. I turned off the cold water supply to start the drainning process. I opened the T&P valve to assist and water flowed endlessly. This surprised me. I didn't think the water should flow like it did but I am not an expert on water heater design. My curiosity got the better of me so I went to a sink that I knew was on that hot water feed and water flowed from the hot water side of the faucet. Then I remembered that we have a undersink recycling pump that takes out of the hot water side and returnes it to the cold water side. I figured this might be where the hot water side is getting its water from. I isolated the pump and checked again but that didnt help. I still had hot water supply.

I ended up turing the water supply to the house off and that fixed my delima. I had an extra valve laying around from the other water heater replacement so I installed it on the "hot" line. For what ever reason, I figured I could completely isolate the water heater at a later time. The rest of the water heater installation went as planned. All plummed, leak checked and pilot lit, it began to heat up water.

I returned later to check on the job and all appeared to be working fine. I went to a faucet and warm water began to flow, cloudy but warm. It wasnt hot so I returned to the heater to adjust the temp. I desided to check the supply lines and what do you think I found. The cold water supply pipe was hot and the hot supply pipe was cold.

We have been in this house for 9+ years and the old water heater had supplied hot water but it didn't last for very long. Now I know why.

Today I will attempt to replumb and cross the supply lines. I am sure glad I put a shut off valve on the other supply pipe.

DO'AH!!!

Old 01-14-07, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So the only valve you had originally was on the hot water pipe? That sounds odd. Good luck with the reversal.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: