Water heaters - Best solution for Townhouse

Old 01-24-07, 07:09 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water heaters - Best solution for Townhouse

Biggest concern here is the location of the water heater. This is a 3 floor townhouse with no garage. We currently have a 50 Gallon water heater on the bottom floor in the laundry room, but the rest of the floor is furnished. I have seen water heaters go and I have no desire to flood the bottom floor of my home (no drainage in the floor), plus since it is a townhouse it would effect the neighbors.

I have no idea when the water heater was actually installed, I bought the place about 3 years ago.

Basically I am trying to figure out what is the best way to go. Highest priority is to not flood my house.

I know we could always replace a water heater well before its life span, so in that regard we cover a lot of problems. However, if something else goes wrong or if it just breaks before it should we still have a major problem. I know you can install some sort of system with a base pan that would shut off the water in the event of a leak. I believe that would really help, but I believe you could still have flooding depending on where a leak forms.

I have done a lot of reading up on the tankless water heaters, I like the idea of them but most people seem against the electric versions. There is no gas or oil to my home so seems I am limited to electric.

So what should I really be looking into for my best options? I had read a previous post about checking electrical service to see if it can handle the requirements. I am not really sure what that entails though any help here?. I live in the northeast (CT) & it gets cold in the winter. I read about some dual configurations for tankless systems which they claim is better for the cold water coming into the home, is this legit?

What other things should I be concerned about or researching at this stage?

Thanks

Old 01-24-07, 08:09 AM
I am not a tankless fan. Others are so I will let them comment on that.

The best protection ( tankless or tank ) is drain pan. In your case, if there is no avenue to provide a drain on the pan, you would need to design a sump with a pump to handle a potential large leak. The pump could possibly discharge into the same area as the T/P relief pipe goes to now, although definitely NOT in the same pipe.

Old 01-24-07, 09:01 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Im with 594tough. Stay with the water tank and a good leak pan under it that drains to the outside.

Old 01-24-07, 09:07 AM
Appreciate the feedback, can I ask why you both of you are against the tankless system? Just curious, trying to find out as much info as I can.

Would have to modify some things (raise the water heater) to get a good sized pan under it and implement a pump system but doable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: