Hook old water heater to Munchkin boiler?

Old 01-25-07, 03:35 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Hook old water heater to Munchkin boiler?

I want to use an old electric water heater and use the tank for hot water storage and disconnect the electricity. I want to use my MUNCHKIN boiler that we put in one year ago to heat the water. How can I do this and what is the procedure for hooking it up the pipes? I did put in an auto fill valve in the system when it was installed, will this work? What else do I need to know? Thanks. Jim.

Old 01-25-07, 08:33 PM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Electric as indirect

Are you doing this right or cheap?

For cheap, you could run the boiler water right into the hot water tank. It violates all rules of sanity. You are destroying your system with oxygen - every steel part of it. The circ won't have pressure. Death by cavitation. No boiler warranty, and major major heath concerns mixing in with boiler water. If your domestic pressure is over 30psi the munchkin will be spraying water like mad... okay, it just can't be done this way.

So we still try and do it with the electric tank. He have to buy a heat exchanger. It needs bronze or stainless circ and no ferrous piping at all, not even the circ flanges on the drinking water side. The boiler-side circ and piping are a cost we won't worry about right now.

Okay, so lets add everything up. A bronze circ is $200. A HX for any kind of good performance will be even more... And wait? How will we control this? Why not just buy an indirect tank like the HTP Superstor and a Smart 40 by Triangle Tube. SS tanks will last forever and be as efficient as your water heater forever. These things are guaranteed for life. They are really the only choice... maybe find a used indirect if you can. Craiglist maybe. That electric tank actually might not be too bad if you aren't there more than 5 more years. I'm not sure exactly, but that's the way I would think about it.

Old 01-26-07, 11:14 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wink Answer to Who about water heater and munchkin boiler.

Thanks for the answer. You gave me the info I was looking for. This is a great format to find info. I appreciate you taking the time to answer me.
Jim

Old 01-27-07, 11:36 PM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
No probs - maybe that electric could do duty as a buffer tank to extend the on cycles of your Munchkin when you get an indirect?

You know a 30 gallon indirect would exceed the capacity of that electric.

Good luck and keep us posted...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: