Hot Water Heater T&P Valve Leaking. Please Help!!!!!

Old 04-16-07, 08:49 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot Water Heater T&P Valve Leaking. Please Help!!!!!

I know nothing about water heaters, so please forgive me. I have an A.O. Smith 50 gallon power shot water heater. The house was purchased brand new in August of 2004, so the water heater is less than 3 years old. I went into the basement this morning and noticed that the water heater was leaking. There is a long pipe on the side of the water heater, and water is dripping out of the bottom of it. I believe this pipe is connected to the T&P valve. It is dripping enough that I have to keep a bucket underneath it. This is the first time this water heater has leaked. I released the valve for about 20 seconds to see if maybe the valve just needed to be resealed, and the water that came out of the pipe was very hot and discolored. After about 10 seconds, the water changed from discolored to almost clear. Could the T&P valve be defective already after only 2 years? That seems like a short amount of time for parts on the water heater to start going. Also, should the water coming out of this pipe be discolored? I should also note that I have a well, not public water. My temperature is set at 120 degrees. I have not made any adjustments to the well pressure or the water heater. Thanks for any advice you can give me!!!!!!

Old 04-16-07, 10:31 AM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Do you have an expansion tank on the cold water line that feeds the water heater? If you have a pressure reducing valve to lower the domestic pressure from street pressure then you should.

Do you know what the pressure is for your domestic water hheating system? If you don't, Watts makes a littel gauge that goes on a hosebib and has a telltale to show the highest recording. About $8...

Old 04-16-07, 02:48 PM
A
If you have a well system then you probably have a well tank that will hold the expanding water when it heats up(unless there is a checkvalve between the water heater and well tank). Sometimes(not very often) they just start leaking for no real reason. I would assume your well pressure isn't higher than 60psi so you shouldn't have a expansion problem. Just change the relief valve and see what happens. As for the dirty water, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. When the water just sits there and doesn't get used(at the relief valve), it will change colors for various reasons. Thats why i cleared up after a second shot.

Old 04-18-07, 08:09 AM
B
Update: All day yesterday T&P valve did not leak. This morning after showering, it started leaking again. I lifted the valve to see if it would reseal itself, and it would not shut off. I finally got it to shut off most of the way (it is still leaking) and i looked in the bucket and there were 2 pieces of a red rubber washer in the bucket. Is this washer part of the T&P valve, or is it part of another problem within the water heater? Please help!

Old 04-18-07, 02:02 PM
A
Just change the relief valve. Its going to keep leaking until you do. You should be all set after changing it.

Old 04-18-07, 04:57 PM
B
Thanks so much! Changed the valve today and so far so good! Thanks again for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: