Installing electric hot water tank in parallel with boiler & DHW coil

Old 04-22-07, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing electric hot water tank in parallel with boiler & DHW coil

Does anyone have any recommendations on plumbing an electric hot water tank in parallel with a oil fired boiler with a domestic HW coil. I'm planning on using electric hot water outside of the heating season (from about May-Oct) in central PA.

What type of plumbing configuration would work best? (i.e. feed the EHW tank from the output of the boiler coil which could serve as somewhat of a tempering tank, or put the EHW tank on its own with the capability of isolating it on both input and output sides, or allowing it to float on the output side during heating system etc.

My longer term plans (maybe this year, maybe next or so) are to replace my central air with a geo thermal HP or air-air hp which means I'll need an EHW tank. Otherwise I'd look at indirect HW.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-07, 11:57 AM
You would want to install it so that the water goes through the furnace first then into the tank. Also be sure to plumb it so you can run either the EWH or the coil seperate from the other. Also, I would leave it so it always runs through the furnace wether it be winter or summer. Having the furnace run during the summer will help keep the furnace dry and last longer.

Old 04-26-07, 05:33 PM
Thanks

Thank you....any other opinions on this?

Old 04-26-07, 05:49 PM
Wink

Might look into the DXgeo thermal HP also. But with the cost Ill bet you go air to air. With the rocks here thats all we use. Id tie it in after the boiler coil. So you have it now.But I would run a cold water to the tank now also . So you can just shut some valves and pull the boiler out