Water heater in 4ft crawlspace?

Old 04-25-07, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water heater in 4ft crawlspace?

Howdy-

I took out my old water heater in a rental house last week and am planning to have the new one installed next week. My electrician came to do work yesterday and suggested I consider putting the water heater under the house to save space in my crowded water heater / laundry / utility room. However, my crawlspace is only 4ft tall and I haven't seen a short 40gal tank.

Are there short 40gal tanks for residential use?

Is it practical (efficiency-wise) to locate a hot water heater in a crawlspace? I thought the benefit of having it inside was to help the efficiency of the unit (doesn't have to work extra hard in the winter).

I suppose I'd have to pour a footing to set the thing on; would I have to then place it on a stand to get it off the ground level?

Opinions are welcome. I leaning towards keeping it where the old one was and just dealing with the space crunch.

-Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-07, 07:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Votes on 140 Posts
I've seen short fat water heaters for sale at Lowes. I don't know for sure but would guess they are 40 gal. I have a neighbor that has an insanely large utility room [in a small house] and he put his water heater and air handler in his crawl space. I think he hopes to shrink the utility room and enlarge his living room.

I believe he set his on cinder blocks but the underside of his house is like mine - slate rock. I assume extra insulation on the tank would relieve any loss heat or harder to heat concerns.

Old 04-25-07, 10:34 AM
Who
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Numerous companies sell "low boy" water heaters, which are wider and lower profile than other typical tanks. The counter at HD or Lowes might also assist in ordering one if you don't see them stocked.

Before putting that tank in the crawlspace, I would seriously assess insulating the crawlspace and having it as part of the conditioned envelope.