no hot water in the morning

Old 06-20-07, 04:18 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
no hot water in the morning

For the past several months I have been having issues with my 5 year old Jetglas gas water heater in the morning.The first shower of the day is usually(not always) luke warm at best.The second shower is always fine. If I put the wash on prior to the first shower,then the first shower will be hot.I can also accomplish this by running hot (warm)water from the fawcet until I hear the water heater's burner kick on.This usually takes about 3-5 minutes.What's going on here? Is there anything I can do short of calling a plumber? Thanks.

Old 06-20-07, 03:37 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
This is not uncommon with gas water heaters. It is not really a "fault" but simply the nature of the beast. Just running a few minutes of hot water ten or twenty minutes prior to your shower is the easiest and least expensive fix.

Old 04-08-08, 08:04 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My 50 gal Rheem is now doing the same thing. This gas heater is approx 9 years old and just started doing this.

I am selling the house in a month, so I don't want to replace the entire water heater. However, if just replacing a part would help, I would not mind doing that.

Would replacing the thermostat or thermocouple (recommended by Lowes) help?

Old 04-08-08, 12:10 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
If your pilot light is not going out then replacing the thermocouple would do nothing.

Replacing the thermostatic gas valve might work but a nine-year-old gas water heater is running on borrowed time already. I would be hesitant to disturb any of the piping (including gas piping) on that old of a heater lest it would REALLY start having problems.

Do you have hard water in your area? Have you done routine maintenance such as draining or flushing of this heater on a regular basis? If not, then doing anything could cause the water heater to start leaking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: