Expansion Tank overflowing.

Old 07-16-07, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Expansion Tank overflowing.

Hi All,
I have been reading a number of different websites about a problem my heating system seems to have and I think I have worked out why its doing it, but I can't find out the solution.

I have an expansion tank on my system and during the winter the heating worked perfectly. Now the days are warmer we only need the boiler to heat the water, now this is where i am having the problem.

If I put the heating on so that I can get enough water for a bath then after a while the expansion tank overflows and the over flow water is quite warm.
I have been up in to the attic to bend the ballcock so that the water level is lower but still, I get overflowing hot water.

I have checked the when the water is in the expansion tank the ballcock shuts off the supply of water, and it does. So all the water that is causing this overflow is from the boiler.

Please tell me there is a simple solution or is it something more serious?

edit: More info,
The water that is entering the expansion tank is coming from the pipe which is bent over the top of the expansion tank.
The boiler I have is a gas boiler, make and model I am unsure of just now.

O.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-07, 04:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you live in a real temperate part of the country that never sees freezing weather up in the attic? The reason I ask is this ballcock type expansion? tank is a new one on me, and to me it sounds more like a storage tank at a well facility, where a ballcock is in control of keeping the storage tank full. IF this really is an expansion tank, this is a new one on me, and others can weigh in on this.