Whirlpool or GE Waterheater?

Old 07-24-07, 08:05 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool or GE Waterheater?

We are needing to buy a new water heater. I have done quite a bit of research on what to look for in a water heater and and whether to buy another "tank type" storage heater or a tankless. We have decided to buy another tank type. I have narrowed it down to either the Whirlpool Energysmart 50 gal or the GE Smartwater 50 gal. Any advice as to which will be the better water heater?

Old 07-25-07, 05:48 PM
Just within the last month, a class action lawsuit was settled on the Whirlpool gas water heaters. Supposedly, the design deficienies have been fixed but it was a big problem for the last 4 years, so I wouldn't buy one right now until the dust settles.

If your water heater is electric, either brand is satisfactory.

Old 07-26-07, 04:49 AM
GE water heaters are made by Rheem. So that's a plus.

Old 07-26-07, 08:57 AM
Fyi

Rheem makes Rheem, Ruud, Richmond and General Electric tanks.

A.O. Smith, making its own brand and State, Reliance, Kenmore and Censible tanks

Old 07-26-07, 03:45 PM
J
GE= Rheem= Now made in Mexico. Not the same units that were made in the US a few years ago. Do a little Google search and see what you get especially with warranty issues.

My favorite brand is Bradford White. Top quality and still made in the US. In my area I can buy these units for less than the GE model. A true bargain.

Old 07-26-07, 07:14 PM
L
Thank You

Thanks to each of you for your replies! I will certainly take it all into consideration and follow up on the search for warranty issues. I have had a tough time finding any info on the GE- but I will now search for Rheem too! The replies have been really helpful! This weekend is "heater day".

Old 07-31-07, 10:03 AM
S
SZ8
Do you have to buy Bradford White from professional suppliers instead of
retailers? Normally, it should cost a lot more, right?

Thanks,

Originally Posted by jim-connor View Post
GE= Rheem= Now made in Mexico. Not the same units that were made in the US a few years ago. Do a little Google search and see what you get especially with warranty issues.

My favorite brand is Bradford White. Top quality and still made in the US. In my area I can buy these units for less than the GE model. A true bargain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: