Gas Water Heater - Clicking Noise Along Cold Water Line

Old 08-06-07, 11:18 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Water Heater - Clicking Noise Along Cold Water Line

Hi,

I have a gas water heater that is less than two years old. Over the past week or so I have noticed a rhythmic clicking noise that starts very early in the morning (e.g. 2-4am) and continues until the late morning (10am-ish). After that, no noise until the next morning. You can hear the clicking noise in the rooms closest to where the water heater is, including two bathrooms. The noise is carried along the cold water line. That is, if I touch the water lines for the water heater - I can feel the clicking when touching the cold water line but I do not feel it when touching the hot water line. If I touch the water heater itself, I can also feel the clicking, but not as strong as when I touch the cold water line. In the two bathrooms, the same is true... if I reach under the sinks and touch the water supply lines, I can feel the clicking on the cold water line and not the hot water line. If I shut-off the cold water supply to the water heater (either by using the shut-off valve at the water heater or the shut-off valve for the entire house), the noise stops. When I turn the cold water valve back on, the noise starts again. The clicking is the loudest at the hot water heater and is felt the strongest at the cold water input to the water heater.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Al

Old 08-06-07, 12:34 PM
J
Additional Info

Hi,
I stopped by the house during my lunch break and the noise is back again - so much for it only happening during the morning. The clicking sound is almost like what a pump might make.

Thanks,
Al

Old 08-06-07, 12:51 PM
P
Can the clicking be coming in from the outside, i.e. your city water supply?

Old 08-06-07, 03:11 PM
J
Water Source/Little More Info On The Noise

Hi,
I am on a well system in a small subdivision. The pump is about 1/4 mile down the hill and the storage tanks are about 150+ yards away from me, above the houses, so it is gravity fed from the tanks to the houses.

The noise is loudest at the water heater - at the water shut-off for the house I can hear the noise but that's because it is about 20' from the water heater. I can not feel the noise in the pipe at the shut-off for the house like I can at the water heater. If I put my ear to the side of the water heater, I can hear the click-clank sound very clearly. The best I can tell, it seems to be coming from near the top of the water heater, where the cold water line comes in.

The noise does not go away if I turn on the water in the house - neither cold nor warm water being on seems to affect it.

Old 08-08-07, 11:25 AM
P
I don't have a guess as to the cause. I would try and eliminate some things as the possible source. For example, does it stop if you turn off power to your pump?

Old 08-08-07, 11:52 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Is the noise just when the heater is on????

Old 08-09-07, 09:39 AM
J
Update To Problem/Water Heater Is Under Warranty

Hi,
Thanks for the input. The noise happens even when the gas water heater is not heating water (that is, the burner is not on). Oddly enough, the noise has not returned for two days (at least not while we were around the house).

Since the pump feeds the water storage tanks for the entire subdivision, I would need to work it out with the home owners' association my desire to turn it off to see if it makes a difference.

I crawled under the house to see if I could pin-point where the sound was coming from and it still seems to be the water heater. I listened for the sound at the point where the water line enters under the house and the noise was very faint. But 12' away at the water heater the noise was the loudest. The two bathrooms where I can hear the noise are only about 5'-8' away from the water heater. When I put my ear to the side of the water heater, I could really hear the clank-ca-clank sounds.

I called the Rheem tech support line - I was told that the only possible part in the unit that could cause such a noise is the baffle. I was told to lift up the baffle and rotate it about 45 deg. and set it back in again. Well, the noise was happening while I had the baffle in my hand - and the baffle was not vibrating from the noise at all. So much for it being the baffle :-(

As it turns out, I installed this water heater just under a year ago. I called the company I bought it from and explained what was happening. They told me to just come in and exchange it for another one :-)

While I am very curious to find out what is really causing the noise in the water heater, as I am a couple weeks (aka several months) behind on my front-yard landscaping, so I think at this point I am just going to declare defeat and exchange it.

Thanks again for thing the time to provide suggestions.

Al

Old 08-11-07, 09:41 AM
Some brands of water heaters use a ball-check type of heat loss preventer nipple. These are famous for clicking. Ask the manufacturer if you have ball checks.

Old 10-12-10, 12:13 PM
B
I have the same Ca-Lick-ca-Lunk in my GE gas water heater which I've had since 2004. Just started noticing the noise which reoccurs every 5 to 10 seconds. It is also noticable only on the cold input side and can be heard inside the tank when my ear is against it. Doesn't seem to matter if it is on or not. Is this something I need to worry about?

Old 10-12-10, 02:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's not a symptom I recognize with quite a lot of experience.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: