Deteriorating Dip Tube

Old 08-11-07, 11:13 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deteriorating Dip Tube

I have one of those water heaters with a defective dip tube that is sending small particles of plastic out to clog all my aerators in the bathroom sink, shower head and kitchen sprayer/aerator. ARghhhh!! Wish I would have heard about the class action suit back before 2000. Anyway, I know I need to replace it. My question is. If the dip tube is broken (haven't checked it yet) what ramifications are there in installing a new dip tube while the remains of the old one are still in the tank? Won't it keep deteriorating and clogging my areators, shower heads etc? Or does that plastic stuff settle to the bottom? Just trying to determine whether it would be better to go ahead and buy a new water heater. Alot cheaper to install a new dip tube. Is there some way to fish the rest of the tube out of there before I install the new one? I don't see how I can do that at this point. Thanks in advance for any advice. I can sweat pipe and am adept at figuring out anything so any solution will be considered. Thanks again.

Old 08-11-07, 11:56 PM
P
in order to remove the dip tube you'll need to disconnect the cold water coming into the heater and remove the nipple. if there is any dip tube left, you should be able to pull it out. they can be difficult though, try and find something that will wedge in it and give it a turn and a pull. hopefully you'll get a good size piece out. yes, whatever is left of the dip tube will continue to deteriorate and leave the heater. you can try draining and flushing the heater to remove any particles.

Old 08-12-07, 05:27 PM
If your heater is from the " dip tube era" then it is probably at least 10 years old, so it would be reasonable to consider replaceing it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: