Oldest water heater in operation?

Old 08-12-07, 11:43 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I just bought a house 3 months ago that has a National line 50 gal electric WH with 2 4500 watt elements. The owner said it was about 20 years old, there is a UL listing on it with a date of jan 1981 so I would imagine its more near 25 years old. The house was built in 78 and he said the first one didn't last long at all compared to this one. I know I will have to replace it soon, I would imagine the inside is all scaled up. How long have you had a WH last?
This thing must be a tank. Our hot water has a bad smell sometimes I figure its from the junk in the tank. We are on a private well with a water softner Btw,

Old 08-12-07, 07:30 PM
P
i have removed a few heaters that were over 30 years old. one that i can remember wasn't even leaking. the manufacture date should be in the serial number, that way you can tell the month and year of it's birth. i would not expect this kind of life from whatever you replace it with.

Old 08-14-07, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Both of my grandparents had electric water heaters installed when they first got electricity on their farms, which would have been immediately after WWII (1946). When all of them finally passed away and we sold both houses around 1985-1988, both homes still had the original tanks. I have no idea how many elements they went through, but the tanks held up without leaking.

I agree that anything you buy nowadays won't last like the stuff made 30 to 40 years ago.

Old 08-14-07, 03:27 PM

Be carefull when trying to establish the age of a water heater from the plate. The actual life in use may be much less.

The information on the tag can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. In some cases, two different dates may be included in the information (design or model year and manufactured year).

That does not always give you an automatic service age since some water heaters can end up in a manufacturer's inventory and then in a supplier's or distributor's inventory for 3 years or more. They can also get lost in other areas.

I once inspected a new home that had a 6 year old heater installed and shipping information on the floor next to it

Dick

Old 12-11-07, 07:51 AM
C
Not to beat a dead horse but I have established at least the age of the water heater, it was made the 36the week of 1983 in johnson city, TN by mor flo industries. Since it is electric, has a huge insulated jacket on it and the t&p valve works, I am going to leave it alone. I am not sure how long its been in service but its definatly old. The previous owner told me that the original WH didn't last very long so he replaced it with a good one.

Old 12-11-07, 04:48 PM
Around about 1998, I replaced a solid copper gas WH which I believe was orignal to the house, pre WWII, right around 1940.

Old 12-11-07, 07:37 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
In 1973 I went to work in an electrical generating station. The washroom had a National water heater. I have no idea of how old the heater was at that time but I do know that the same heater is still in use at that facility.

Old 12-17-07, 07:48 AM
R
I have a gas water heater in a rental house of mine that was put in in 1967. It has had a couple repairs over the years. It has been flushed every 4 years or so. I would recommend flushing your heater to get any build up in the bottom of the tank out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: