Rusty hot water

Old 09-02-07, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rusty hot water

here's the deal

Water heater sat empty for about 3 years (rental property). When i turned the water on the hot water was rust color. I flushed the tank, drained the tank, flushed again, water ran clear. The next day rusty water was back. Drained, filled, drained, filled, flushed, water ran clear.... The next day, rust was back?

Any ideas on whats goin on here?
Anything else i could try?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-07, 05:05 PM
what type of water lines are in the house? could it be that the rust you're getting is from old steel water lines and not the tank?

paul

Old 09-02-07, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
I agree that it sounds like the tank is not the problem.

Old 09-02-07, 06:29 PM
Its an early 80's mobile home, the plumbing is similar to polybutylene, but its black, i'm not sure what its called.

Thanks for the help guys

Old 09-03-07, 02:19 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It's also possible it's your water supply, in which case there's nothing you can do about it but complain to your provider and install a water filter.

I was quite surprised at the amount of particulate matter in my water supply when I installed a filter. Now I have to replace it about every 2-3 WEEKS or it becomes so clogged there is a noticeable drop in water flow. So in addition to $15 or so a month for water, I'm spending another $15 a month to filter it.

My starting point for the whole thing was that every time I filled the whirlpool, there was so much 'stuff' settling to the bottom that no one wanted to get in it.
Haven't had that problem since installing the water filter.

Old 09-03-07, 07:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
I had the same problem in an apartment years ago. Didn't bother me to shower with it, but we filtered all the drinking water.

Old 09-03-07, 10:46 AM
water heater

Originally Posted by even_ View Post
here's the deal

Water heater sat empty for about 3 years (rental property). When i turned the water on the hot water was rust color. I flushed the tank, drained the tank, flushed again, water ran clear. The next day rusty water was back. Drained, filled, drained, filled, flushed, water ran clear.... The next day, rust was back?

Any ideas on whats goin on here?
Anything else i could try?

Thanks in advance
Since we don't know how old the water heater is, and you have non-metalic pipe I would say that the heater is shot, sorry.

Old 12-29-08, 08:44 PM
Lightbulb Rusty water

A O Smith suggests that rusty water is really bacteria. Lists setting unused for long time as a clue. Cure: Shock system. turn off heat source. drain. Add 1 gal bleach per 25 gal. fill tank. Run water at each hot water faucet including dishwasher and washing machine until bleach smell. turn off water. Let sit for at least one hour. Drain and flush system.