How to Remove Galvanized Nipple from H/W Htr

Old 09-25-07, 05:20 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to Remove Galvanized Nipple from H/W Htr

I have a standard 50 g hot water heater with a galvanized nipple at the bottom of the tank protruding about 1 1/2" out from the tank with a brass fitting attached to it which then connects to CPVC piping that connects to the heat recovery unit. Obviously, not the best way (galvanized + brass), but that's the way they did it.

Due to a leak at the brass fitting/galvanized nipple area I started removing the parts only to discover that the nipple has so much corrosion on it I could not get a good enough seal when installing the replacement parts today. Unit is 2 years old.

The galvanized nipple needs to be replaced.

Question: How do you remove the nipple? The nipple extends 1 1/2" from the tank with male threaded end. Not sure if special tool is needed or interior access? (Haven't done it before) Replace with a brass nipple?

In reading some information at various sites it looks like the 2 different metals is the real problem, so I guess a brass nipple is the answer?

I'd send you a picture attachment, but it doesn't look like you can here unless I'm not seeing it.

Thanks for your wisdom guys!

Old 09-25-07, 08:49 AM
S
SZ8
If you replace the nipple with brass one, aren't you moving
the problem into the tank since the tank is made of steel?

I thought de-electric union is the solution.

As to remove the nipple, pipe wrench is a possible solution.

Old 09-25-07, 11:07 AM
E
re:

SZ8 - Thanks for the "internal pipe wrench" suggestion. That'll work.

Old 09-25-07, 11:17 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I dont think you will need a dielectric union there with a new galvanized nipple and go right too that CPVC pipe. Keep that brass nipple out of it .

Old 10-01-07, 01:25 PM
E
Heat Recovery Question on this Repair

Repair completed and used teflon tape + Rectorseal #5 dope which worked great.

Question: I noticed the Heat Recovery Unit is not heating the hot water like before. (Water Heater elements heat up water fine). Opened the HRU acess door and felt the pipes - 1 cold and 1 hot like it should be. At the Water Heater the HRU pipes are both room temp - 1 should be smokin' hot.

The inlet of the HRU to the Water Heater comes in at the bottom of the tank like it should and I also have a hose bib there. Do you think the hose bib needs to be opened up while A/C and HRU are running to maybe bleed out any air that might be in there (just guessing)?

HRU was heating the water excellent before. Seems like the unit is working properly at the unit end.

Any ideas?

Any other ideas?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: