WH thread question

Old 09-30-07, 11:49 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
WH thread question

Hi, new on here, great resource...so I'm replacing a 50g electric WH as a holding tank for my woodstove-heated thermosiphon system...works great, makes lots of free hot water! I'm using the two 1" ports that held the heating elements to plumb the cold out the bottom one and the hot back in the top one...only problem is that the threads for the elements are NOT tapered and any plumbing fittings I put in there are tapered. As you probably know, the elements use a rubber washer to seal them...so what we (myself and my machine shop pal) were thinking of doing was to take off everything from the element screw and drill it and tap it for a 3/4" pipe thread then go from there...what thinks ye? Are there any existing fittings that'll do that? Seems like it really needs to be something that uses that rubber washer, that's why we thought of using the exising fitting any modifying it. Thanks for any ideas.

Old 10-01-07, 07:06 PM
You might try a 1" electrical conduit nut and the gasket that was used on the original heater element. You may need a 1 1/4 X 1 conduit reducing washer to back up the gasket but I think it would work.

Ken

Old 10-01-07, 09:07 PM
P
if you have access to a machine shop i think your idea would be the best.

paul

Old 10-01-07, 09:25 PM
B
OK, well talked to my friend at the machine shop today and he's gonna make a couple of adapters out of stainless...thanks for the idea about the electrical conduit fittings, will look into that too...

Old 10-01-07, 10:06 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Lost here why do all that work. Take the cold water off the bottom drain and the return hot back to the hot pipe out of the tank. Thats the way we do it with a hot water recovery on a AC unit. That way you can have the electric there for back up anyhow.

Old 10-08-07, 08:23 AM
B
Just a follow-up on this--Ed you're right except that we're off the grid here so we don't have the power available...it was pointed out to me that I could've used a propane WH and done the same thing but it was too late for that, already had the electric one, and didn't have the gas available to that side of the house, plus didn't want to put another hole in the roof. Our backup is a tankless Paloma that works great. Anyway, we found a copper fitting that was 1" male to 3/4" female slip and turned the male threads to straight and made a groove for the rubber washer. Hooked it all up yesterday...works great, no leaks...thanks for the advice and next time I'll try to think it through a little more!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: