Intermittent gas smell from new waterheater

Old 10-13-07, 08:35 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Intermittent gas smell from new waterheater

We had a new water heater installed to replace a failed one which was still under warranty. They installed a State Water Heater Select residential model.

There is a faint gas smell when we open our door to the garage in the morning and now an intermittent smell in our laundry room (which is above the garage area where the water heater is installed) and also in our bonus room also above the garage but has holes for cables coming up from the crawl space/garage.

The plumber was called back 3 day after install and tried the dish soap test. No leak. Nothing further they can do.

We have installed a new carbon monoxide alarm right beside the heater and, so far, no alarms.

What could this be? The heater itself was only manufactured 11 days prior to install.

Previously, in another country, we had a leak and the plumber brought a device which "sourced" the gas leak. Are these commonplace in the US? What are they called?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated. We have a 2 year old in the house and I am getting more than a little concerned.

Old 10-13-07, 10:04 AM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Call the Gas company ASAP- the may not fix it, but they can identify it.

Old 10-13-07, 09:18 PM
S
SZ8
I think your carbon monoxide alarm may not detect
the gas leak since it is designed to detect exhaust
gas. So, don't trust that detector.

If you and others can confirm the smell, than there must
be some leak. You should call some professionals to check
it out.

Or, if you want to see if the water heater itself has problem,
turn the gas valve off for a day and see if you can still
smell gas. I think plumber normally only tests the connection
to the heater but not the heater itself.

Old 10-14-07, 07:12 PM
I second the motion to call the gas company. Most places I have been, they come running pronto is you say you smell gas. It is simply in their best interest, because the negative publicity when a house blows up is bad for business.

All kidding aside, the gas company is usually very helpful, and provides this free service in the public interest. They won't fix your problem, but can usually pinpoint it.

Keep the CO detector going. ALthough CO itself is odorless, if you do have a CO issue due to faulty venting, there are other combustion products present which do have an odor, so unless you are positve it is actual gas, maybe keep a window open.

New water heaters ( the FVIR type, since July 2003) are more sensitive to having proper combustion air, so sometimes problems crop up which were not apparent with the older heater.

Old 10-17-07, 07:25 PM
P
my guess is it's at the heater if you hadn't noticed it before the change out. the plumber needed to check harder. could be at the gas flex, burner tube or pilot tube. i've seen gas valves leak at the gasket that hold the cover on too. the gas company should be able to tell you it's at the heater but they might not go far enough to actually find it either. they may just red tag your heater and turn it off. in either case, you'll need a plumber to repair it. i'd call the plumber that installed it and have him come back again.

paul

Old 10-18-07, 07:04 AM
B
I would move the CO detector from the garage. put it somewhere inside(laundry room)

Old 10-18-07, 01:28 PM
H
Originally Posted by mrsperks
We had a new water heater installed to replace a failed one which was still under warranty. They installed a State Water Heater Select residential model.

There is a faint gas smell when we open our door to the garage in the morning and now an intermittent smell in our laundry room (which is above the garage area where the water heater is installed) and also in our bonus room also above the garage but has holes for cables coming up from the crawl space/garage.

The plumber was called back 3 day after install and tried the dish soap test. No leak. Nothing further they can do.

We have installed a new carbon monoxide alarm right beside the heater and, so far, no alarms.

What could this be? The heater itself was only manufactured 11 days prior to install.

Previously, in another country, we had a leak and the plumber brought a device which "sourced" the gas leak. Are these commonplace in the US? What are they called?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated. We have a 2 year old in the house and I am getting more than a little concerned.
I have the same kind of WH and I am experiancing stench as well

Old 10-18-07, 02:05 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Typically with an intermittant odor, the area I would investigate first would be the burner tubing thrust nut under the control. It will only produce an odor when the burner is on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: